Need advice: cab(s) to go with Hartke 7000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by klocwerk, Aug 31, 2005.

1. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Long story short:
    Started playing in a band again after a long time off. Currently playing through a Peavy TKO 1x15 combo which just bearly pushes the volume I need and sounds like crap doing it.
    Blusey/rock/jamband sound, I like it bass heavy, very little slap. Basses listed in sig.

So I found a great deal locally on a used Hartke 7000 which I'm 99% picking up on friday, and I'm going to need some cabs to run it though.
    2 amps in there, each 350w@4ohm or 250w@8ohm, not bridgable.

Now we're just a local band getting started, not playing stadiums or anything. I'm thinking of getting a 2x10 for now, and later adding a 1x15 when I can afford it. Cost is a major factor! I'm nigh upon broke!

my question(s) to you:
    what's an affordable 2x10 that'll take 350w@8ohms or 250w@8ohm that rocks?
    Should I really just get a 4x10? the amp is not bridgable, so I'd want a 4x10 that I could run two inputs into if possible to get the most out of it until i could add a second cab. Lugging around a 4x10 doesn't sound like a picnic to me though...
    Should I consider a 2x12 instead, something like the Nemesis NSP212?

help! :confused:
  2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

When I had a Hartke HA7000, I used a 1x15 and 4x10 setup for big outings and a 1x15 and 2x10 for smaller. The cool part about that head is that it has a built in, adjustable crossover so you can send the lows to a big, speakered cab like a 1x15 and the higher frequecies to a 2x10. I used Avatar speakers with the Hartke and it was a great combination, but honestly was not the tone that I was looking for. The best that I could do with it was running the tube pre way up (little to no SS pre) and EQ more or less flat with a slight boost in the mids. Good luck!
  3. Quadzilla

BTW, it's two 350 watt amps (not 250, that would be the HA5000.
  4. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Yeah, I know. 350 @ 4ohms, but 250 @ 8ohms.

how was the sound if you just ran it through the 2x10?
  5. Quadzilla

Honestly never ran just 1 cab. Always ran 2 with that head.