1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need advice: CD Release Party

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by kaputsport, Sep 30, 2008.

1. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Ok. So here is the deal.

My band is having a CD release party on October 18th, in Central PA. We got a gret cover band to follow up the night, and a guitar hero contest with actual prizes...

Cd's will be $5 with paid admission, door is $5 and some of the proceeds benefit a local fire company and K-9 unit.

So far, we have the backing of the local Rock radio station, and will have live remotes from the show, door prizes, advertising on the radio for a few weeks prior, and other stuff to sell...

We want to get a lot of people in the door. I wanted to give away a CD, with 3 to 4 songs of some material that didn't make the album. Cheap cost, and effective for drawing in a crowd, but the singer thinks people will not buy the album for $5 because they have a CD in their hands. He thinks, unless they really like us, they will not even bother.

Anyone have opinions, or an idea on getting people in the door?

If you are interested, check out the band on myspace. I put up 6 cuts from the album... Snippets. Check them out. If you want the whole disc, let me know.

2. Jsegbers

Jsegbers

Aug 26, 2008
    I think you might confuse some of your audience by doing it as they walk in the door.

Maybe hand out some of your "B sides" as people leave for the night

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Jsegbers just said exactly what I was going to say. I'll add that when people don't know the music, they couldn't care one single bit about a free CD. It's not going to get any people in the door, only hurt the sales of the CD you're releasing.

We hired a couple of dancing girls for one of our CD parties. It fit the vibe of our band though, don't know if it would work for you.

Free food always attracts people. You can make stuff yourself and have it only at the beginning of the night.

I'd also get the cover band to open (and then finish) the night, or get another popular band to open. If it's a happening cover band they may upstage you with the crowd - after you've finished your set.

4. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Well, the cover band we hired already is good, but all covers...

In this town, you are either all original, or all covers.

The B-sides was our idea for the disc. Anyone showing up is either going to see us for the first time (after hearing us all over the radio) or already knows us.

Thanks for the input, though I think we didn't really accomplish anything.

The guitar hero contest is going on first, with monitary prizes, and drink specials. We are on next, playing for an hour and 15, and then the cover band will finish out the night.

Thanks again.

5. stevellss

stevellss

Aug 13, 2008
    Just give it away to anyone who buys the cd as a bonus. From my experience, giving cd's away as promotion never hurts if you truly believe in the music you are making. One time my band left about 20 cd's behind on accident at a venue, so they were just given away at the door, and we actually had a few people buy our other albums and find us online, so don't worry about sales, focus on exposure!

6. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Drug sniffing dogs at concert...I'm steering clear :bag:

Seriously though sounds like you have a fun night planned, and firefighters always come to wherever there is beer. You should have a decent crowd.

I wouldn't give away any CD's if you are hoping to sell the real ones. It would be like giving out freeze pops and charging for Fudge-sicles, the fat kid might buy one, but you would have a ton of Fudge-sicles left over come closing time.

7. mdiddium

mdiddium

Jun 21, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I also think that giving away a CD of B-sides sends a mixed message. Since this is your CD release, I think you should stand by that release as the primary "product." Some other CD of material that didn't make the cut could easily be many people's first impression of you. Since those tunes didn't make it to the final CD, I assume there is a good reason for that, which (again, I assume) means they aren't the first thing that you want as an introduction to the band's sound.

If possible, I think you should give away a CD to everyone that buys a ticket/pays the cover. I know it's a big financial hit, but since you are promoting it very heavily (and I checked your myspace, Shakey's is a big hangout, I went to college in the area), it might be worth it. On the other hand, if it's only $5, people would probably be willing to pay that if they dig you.

Otherwise, I like the idea of giving the B-sides away with the purchase of a CD.

Good luck with the show.

8. mdiddium

mdiddium

Jun 21, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    This sums it up WAY better than I ever could :D

9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Here's what I think you should do...and it works:

People/fans pay $5 to get in the door? GIVE them your CD for coming to see you live and mention any donation will be accepted - just for this show only.

Spread the word that you'll be giving away your brand new CD's to whoever pays admission and accepting any donations to help out! The trick is the (un)suggested donation. When people come up to your table to grab a CD, just say, "Whatever you want to pay".

Some might give you $1, some might give you, $5, some might just drop you a $10 or $20 if they really like you, or want to be nice.

Make it a "special occasion" and you'll be amazed what you can make in donations rather than just charging a flat rate, plus you'll probably get a lot more people in the door if they know you have cheap/free CD's.

Hell, Radiohead did it with their last album. We followed suit honestly making the most money we've ever made at our latest release show a few months back. We also do it whenever we tour because people who've never heard you might just want to save their money for beer, but at least you get heard.

After all, it's a great way to get your new music out to people - that is what's most important, right?

Oh yea, and drop the B-side idea. That only complicates things, plus you can leave the fans wanting more :)

10. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Well, the B-Sides didn't make the album cause of time, not content.

We recorded 11 songs in Seven Days... Seriously, I did my tracks in 6 hours, same with drums. We had enough time to squeeze in some mixing, and a first listen, then we were out of time.

I'll take everything said here to heart...

11. ColdSteelRain

ColdSteelRain

Jul 27, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    How does the CD sound? That just doesn't seem like enough time to track, mix, and master that many songs.

12. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Well, the CD was recorded in 6 days, mixed over 2 weeks, and mastered by Grammy Nominee Joe Lambert...

I'd say it sounds pretty good. All Analog Signal path, and over $300,000 of analog mastering gear in the chain...

Check out the lower quality samples on the myspace page... Even they sound impressive.

13. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
  14. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm a big fan! replied to your thread.