need advice - changing preamp in my jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jivetkr, May 30, 2003.

1. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    I have a fender USA jazz deluxe with the 3 band active preamp.

I'm thinking about swapping out the fender pre & putting in the aguilar OBP-3 in its place.

My question is, if I do this will I need to get new pots & new knobs? Can anyone see any issues with using the fender pickups & that preamp?
  2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I've got a better idea. Get a Sadowsky preamp/DI and run the bass that way. You'll save the resale on yours and you'll probably find the new preamp will blow you away!!:D

3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Why are you changing the pre-amp? I have a 5 string American Deluxe and I've had good luck with it. Are you looking for a specific sound or features? Plugging into an outboard pre (Sadowsky and Aguilar are both great, BTW, actually I think they share the same circuitry...but I digress) is a good idea before you start hacking into your bass.
  4. Have you considered a J-Retro preamp?
  5. I TOTALLY agree with Bikeplate!!! I have a Sadowsky outboard preamp and I PROMISE you it is much better than any other preamp out there!! I either own or have owned them all....With the Sadowsky you can run your bass (es) passive and have the Sadowsky on or use the onboard pre in your bass and switch back and forth...Best of all, you will lose nothing if you decide to sell your bass (es) AND with the Sadowsky outboard you can use it on ANY bass that you have now or will have in the future...for what it is worth, I like the outboard pre so much that I have ordered a 4 string Quilted Caramel Burst/Maple neck with a Morado Fingerboard/Passive tone option and Roger's Humcancellers!
    :D :D I will have to wait until about November before I can get my bass...You, however, could save over $3,000 by trying the outboard pre will only set you back about $250 with shipping...the external power supply is another $20....If you order Monday you can probably have it by Wednesday or Thursday!! :D :D