Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need advice..come on bassist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky Tune, May 2, 2005.

1. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    I go to buy my new baby,and i need help for take a good desicion,my first two choices.... the red bass is a Cort Curbow 4 string and the grey is a Yamaha RBX374 4string..ok help me guys,why you prefer or why you play and give me your riview...thanks :)

Attached Files:

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I have not played the Cort but have tried the Yamaha and liked it very much. Reviews for both are solid but the Y seems to get edge out the Cort just a bit. At the end of the day it's really down to you.

3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Another big fan of Yamahas ...really? :bassist:

4. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Another Yamaha fan here!!

I never tried the Cort, but I have played the RBX374 at a gig and it was a fantastic bass. An even better bass was the RBX774 which was basically the 374, but with a 35" scale. It was much more defined in the lower notes due to its scale, but they are hard to find right now. (I kick myself for selling that one).

If you are a Yamaha kind of guy, DEFINATELY check out the new BB414 or BB614. You would love those.

Ofcourse this all depends on what type of music you play. Just try as many basses as you can. You may be shocked with what you actually like once you play them.

5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    thank,s man,good help for you,ok i prefer long scale basses,i go to find riviews of your recomendations,and really,i love the Yamahas basses.

6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Hey this Yamaha BB614 looks very pretty [​IMG] :bassist:

7. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada

Not at all....I own two Fenders and an Ibanez but given the choice between the C or the Y I would go with the Y.

8. I've not played the Yamaha but I own a Cort Curbow 4-string (fretless) that I'm crazy about. It's small and lightweight with a slim neck (which works for me 'cause I'm small, but might not work for bigger folks) and I love the feel and the sound. :)

9. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    both great basses, corts not so good if you dont like playing a synthetic bass.

10. I've liked all the Yamaha's I've played + its got wood so I say go with the Yamaha even though both are suppose to be great

11. Never played the Yamaha but I thought the Cort was a great bass when I tried it out. I'm sure the Yamaha is fine but I give a +1 for the Cort

12. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Yamaha, only for the fact that every single one I've ever played has been well-constructed, sounded quality, been worth more (IMO) then their prices, and the upper-range models can hang with Sadowskys and others any day of the week.

Cort's good, some models are really good, but I don't think they're in the same league.

13. Yamaha... at least its WOOD...lol.
    No, it plays nicely. nice sound... theres only 2 cons for me though, I HATE the knob design, and The neck is a bit too fat for someone thats used to Fender Jazz like me.
    Pros: Real nice punchy sound, somewhat confortable.

14. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

I actually don't like either...never played either...have no desire to.
    My taste runs more to vintage instruments or custom made..

And more than $1000.00 is too much to pay...on any reasonable instrument ....7 strings and up excepted, and they ain't basses anymore either....
    Opinionated?? Who Me????....NAHHHHH :D

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    See, now I'm seeing a lot of "at least it's wood" comments, and this bothers me, because basses with synthetic materials are not inherently bad -- take a look at Steinberger or Status basses...excellent basses without an an ounce of wood on 'em. Modulus and Zon are famous for their graphite necks.

OTOH, cheap synthetic basses are generally the ones that give synthetics a bad name. I own a Yamaha, and have played almost every bass in the line from the RBX160's to the TRB-6, and I am very proud to be a Yamaha owner. Great build and sound quality, awesome price. That said, I've also played both the 774 and the 374 models -- very, very good basses for balls-out rock. A little too unfinessed for jazz maybe, but definitely great for rock. Also, from what I recall, their necks were chunkier than Fat Albert. Round as a pole, and thick as Mr. Albert himself, those buggers are interesting to move around on -- I'm not saying bad, just interesting. Far more different than my BB404F, which has a thinner front-to-back profile and less round in the back. Anyway, it's definitely got some interesting electronics (or at least the 774 did, I can't recall having time to tweak when I played the 374) and the weight is very, very reasonable. Well, seeing as how anything more on this bass from me would be rambling, I'd say it's time to go to school!

Funken: If your tastes are vintage and custom instruments, then good luck getting (good) ones for under $1K, even used. I'll just leave that ERB comment alone, I'm not about to open that can of worms in here.

16. I think both cort and the yamaha kind of look the same in that pic. I am not into single pup basses with the exception of a P bass, which sounds like two pups anyway.

I would go for the BB400 series but i gather you are after the sleeker look rather than the trad look. The 400 series are passive, however. The only thing I do not like are the inlays.

Given your choices, get the Y.

17. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The Curbow WILL NOT sit on your knee. It's almost as bad as trying to balance a Flying V on your knee; it's ridiculous. I was testing out their 6 strings.

18. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i like the knobs design,the Fenders are more ugly :meh:

19. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    +1 ....excellent point.

20. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    The electronics in the Cort are designed by Bill Bartolini and the active sound is great.