Need advice - Dodgy neck joint

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by manatee, Apr 18, 2004.

1. I'm restoring my first bass just for fun's sake, hopefully for a backup instrument if it turns out good enough. This one hasn't been played for ages, and it's in very bad setup condition with a warping neck and all, so I decided to take it apart and fix it.

My problem is with the bolt-on neck joint. Apparently, I guess that the body and neck has been taken apart and put together too many times, that one of the screws/bolts become loose. It still holds together but it's kind of wobbly on the joint. How would you fix that? Use a bigger size bolt? Or fill in all the holes with automotive putty (or something similar) and drill new ones in place? I have limited resources but I'd really like to see this bass up and running again... any advice, guys?
  2. weeeugene

Oct 19, 2003
    i had a similar problem with the bass i was builidng. to save money, i re-used the neck from an old washburn bass i had. instead of painstakingly mark the exact spots of all the pre-existing screw holes on the heel of the neck, i carefully filled all the holes with 2-part epoxy. they cure really hard. then i just drilled new holes where i wanted them. the new holes actually overlap some of the old holes and the thing holds up pretty securely. i wouldn't recommend wood filler cos i've tried using that for filling up some other gaps and it doesnt seem strong enough to hold the stresses of a neck joint.

hope that helps
  3. Best solution in the world is to covert it to steel threaded inserts and use machine bolts to attach. No more worn threads and take it off as many times as you would like.
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Agreed in spades! If one screw hole is srew sick, the rest aren't far behind.

Fix it once, fix it right.