Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Advice for a beginner-4 or 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WanneBeBassist, Apr 29, 2003.

1. WanneBeBassist

WanneBeBassist Guest

Apr 29, 2003
    Paso Robles, CA
    I have been a rythm guitar player for years now (I play a Taylor) and I am expanding my instruments to include bass guitar. 99% of the time I am playing worship music at church that isn't too complicated.

I need to know if I should start out with a 4 or 5 string. I've spoken with bass players over the years and some have regretted not starting on a 5 string. Should I just start with the 5?

I also need some advice on guitar brand and a beginners bassist book to learn from. I used to work at Ernie Ball Inc. so I have some knowledge of whats good and whats great with basses, but the bass world is a little foreign to me. I'm thinking a used Carvin might be a good start. I really don't want to spend more than $700 on a practice amp, guitar, and book.

Any advice you guys can lend would be great.

Thanks

WannaBeBassist :bassist:

2. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    I don't really see any difference in starting with a 4 or 5 string, it's up to you, wich you like best. I started with a 4 but soon passed to 5 strings because I felt like I missed something... again for me it's just up to you what you like more

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The only true option is to get out to the stores and play everything in your price range. I have heard good things about Carvins but never played them. My experience with MIM Fenders is good as is my experience with Essex. I would also suggest trying Yamaha and Peavey.

Good Luck!

4. I used to be a die-hard 4 stringer, until those low D and C notes took me away. I'd advise starting on a 5 simply because you're almost assured to go there eventually. It's better to have the notes at your disposal and not need them, than to need them and not have them. ;)

A good beginner's 5 string bass is Yamaha and Ibanez. Go to Musiciansfriend.com to check everything out and get a feel for prices.

See what you like, then come back and ask an opinion.

Good luck,

Mike

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If you have no preference either way, I'd strongly suggest trying five because it's more versatile, and more and more new songs contain bass lines that go below E.