Need advice for a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AmplifyYourBass, Mar 3, 2004.

1. AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    I'm on the look out for a new bass, but I'm not sure what I want. I like to play rock music, but add a little funk to it as well (slapping and stuff). Sort of like the RHCP. Anyways, I'm sticking to 4 strings and don't have a particular biased to any company or brand of bass. Again, I'm looking for a good rock bass that's also a good bass for slapping. I'm an intermediate bassist. I've been playing for about 2 and a half years, just a little over that. Price is also an issue. I don't want to pay anything above $800 as of now, but I might just trade in my old bass to maybe get some money off. Any help would be much appreciated. :bassist: :hyper:
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You should be able to find a nice used Stingray for around your price range.
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    What Ryan said.
  4. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    A used Stingray, or a new SUB. Thats RHCP around BSSM to On Hot Minute, on some songs. Plus, it'll be pretty close to the newer stuff. I'd also recommend you search out a coupla Jazz basses. Fender of course, and I'd also say to look at Reverend, I love the slap tone on mine at any rate.

Stingray-$1000 new, a bit less used
    SUB-$700 new, sometimes $600 on Ebay
    Reverend-$900 new, but custom made.