1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need advice for a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AmplifyYourBass, Mar 3, 2004.

1. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    I'm on the look out for a new bass, but I'm not sure what I want. I like to play rock music, but add a little funk to it as well (slapping and stuff). Sort of like the RHCP. Anyways, I'm sticking to 4 strings and don't have a particular biased to any company or brand of bass. Again, I'm looking for a good rock bass that's also a good bass for slapping. I'm an intermediate bassist. I've been playing for about 2 and a half years, just a little over that. Price is also an issue. I don't want to pay anything above $800 as of now, but I might just trade in my old bass to maybe get some money off. Any help would be much appreciated. :bassist: :hyper:

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You should be able to find a nice used Stingray for around your price range.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    What Ryan said.

4. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    A used Stingray, or a new SUB. Thats RHCP around BSSM to On Hot Minute, on some songs. Plus, it'll be pretty close to the newer stuff. I'd also recommend you search out a coupla Jazz basses. Fender of course, and I'd also say to look at Reverend, I love the slap tone on mine at any rate.

Stingray-$1000 new, a bit less used
    SUB-$700 new, sometimes $600 on Ebay
    Reverend-$900 new, but custom made.