Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Advice for Amp Head for Aguilar 4x12 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jamesblue, Sep 9, 2005.

1. I have an Aguilar 4x12 cab (1200watt) and using a Yorkville XS800H head (800 watts) and not satisified with the tone.

I'd appreciate any advice from you guys. :confused:

My signal chain in this order bass, EH Bass Balls, Fulltone Bass Drive II, Aphex Acoustic Exciter pedal (to board), Amp to cab.

Once I get a good amp tone, I'd like to mic the amp and run the two siginals to the board.

I'm looking for a more rock vintage bass sound, not a modern slap sound. I had an small rig SWR 350 into a Acme Low B, liked it, but a new SWR 750 is out of my price range. I'd like a good preamp because I run that to to PA, the Yorkvilles is not what I like, so I run my Apex DI out to the board with good results. I'm thinking of selling the Yorkville for one of the following:

Yorkville YBA200 - 200 watts all tube ($650)
    Mesa Boogie 400t (used) ($800)
    Fender Pro 300t ($1100)
    Mesa Boogie Pulse 600 used ($800)
    Tech 21 600 ($600-$1200)

I've played a Classic SVT through this cab in the store, sounded very good, but I thought a more powerfull solid state amp would be better. Guss I was wrong.
    I called Yorkville today, very nice service, but they couldn't swap the 800 for the YBA200 (about the same price). I got the Yorkville for $605 and the cab for $700 used. Not sure if the YBA200 at 200 watts is strong enough.

Should I just settle for what I got or get a different amp??

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have a Aggie GS212 and my Kustom Groove Bass 1200 sounds AWESOME thru it. I did however just sell the Kustom due to weight reasons (31 lbs vs 18 lbs on the new head I will prob get).

3. I think the Kustom would sound similiar to the Yorkville.
    Come on, you're only dropping 12lbs from your rigg. Does the new amp get better tone?
    I hear the Thunderfunk 550 is good and light.

4. After all the cheerleading you've done about the Kustom, you sold it?

I like that my Aggie only weighs 18 lbs.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I'm also losing the power conditioner and rack tuner. I'm considering the Aggie head also, but it's a bit out of my price range. I REALLY love my A.M.P. BH-420, but I hear that the T-Funks don't get as "edgy" or "gritty" as the BH-420's. Heck, I'd prob consider getting another one of those!