Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need advice for amp purchase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassplayerCD86, Dec 11, 2002.

1. BassplayerCD86

BassplayerCD86 Guest

Jan 11, 2001
    Ontario, CA
    I've never had a reason to post a message at the boards because every question i have ever had was already answered, but here's a more personalized one that i can't find search results on.

I'm looking to purchase an amplifier head in the following week. What would be the best amp in the price range of $350-$400? I know its not much, but there has got to be something decent for this amount of money out there. Thanks in advance

2. Hartke's 3500 has plenty of power,280 watts 8 ohm,350 watts 4 ohm,and sounds good.A new one goes for about $450 but you should be able to pick up a used one for around $300.A used Ampeg B2 would be pretty nice too with about the same power.With the money you want to spend don't go for anything less than 300-350 watts.Low bass tone takes a ton of power so this is about the minimum to get good bottom and still keep up with the rest of the band.

3. I agree, Hartke 3500, most bang for the buck.....:D

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    May I suggest Ampeg BA-115 or B-100R ?

5. You can find a used Peavey Firebass on ebay every now and then for around $400. I think they're the best bang for the buck in that price range.