1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need advice for buying my first new bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OnlyJerry, Apr 9, 2011.

1. OnlyJerry

OnlyJerry

Mar 28, 2011
    Bryne, Norway
    Started off with a Squier Affinity Precision about a month ago. I'm in the market for a new bass guitar, nothing beats the feeling of new and unused. I'm looking for a versatile guitar with striking sound, crisp and clear. Probably on the other end of the scale from a Jazz bass.

Funding is limited, so I'm thinking something around 400-700$.
    Looks are also very important.

So far I've come to like the Ibanez Iceman ICB300EX and a Epiphone Thunderbird IV.

I'm also looking to buy quality, would it be contradictory to buy an Epiphone in that case?
    Really loving the looks on the Epiphone.

Attached Files:

2. hoshbrown41

hoshbrown41

Jun 19, 2009
    My two cents: if you're upgrading off a Squier and are pretty serious about you're playing, save up for something that is more high end. Then again, the mantra that's beaten to the ground around here is play everything a lot before buying, and if you like it, to hell with everything else.

I'm personally not a fan of either of those basses, apart from the Iceman's look (for some strange reason), but I've heard some who swear by their Epi Tbirds. What little I've heard of the Iceman hasn't been good.

3. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CO
    My friend owned a Tbird for a while and didn't like it. Said it was muddy and kinda clumsy. But then again, he sure does love his P's and J's, and his vintage Peavey.

4. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

Mar 8, 2011
    Maine
    The iceman has bad neck dive. I have herd that the thunderbird does as well. I have never tried either plugged in so I don't know about tone.

5. If you want a bass that looks and sounds good i'd go for a MIM Fender Jazz or Precision bass. Most of the time the lower end models of basses look cool but sound like garbage. My thoughts are that the sound of an instrument should always come first and then the looks second. Most people could care less what your instrument looks like as long as there is a great sound coming from it

6. OnlyJerry

OnlyJerry

Mar 28, 2011
    Bryne, Norway
  7. OnlyJerry

OnlyJerry

Mar 28, 2011
    Bryne, Norway
    Sure, in the end sound is more important. It's just that it's so much more fun playing on the instrument if you really love how it looks.

8. SNOTROCKET56

SNOTROCKET56

Mar 13, 2011
    What this guy says. Get a used mim p bass and get it set up by a pro. Put a new badass bridge and some duncan pickups too and u will have a top notch bass. The t bird and the ice wont be a significant upgrade from a squier

9. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the CV Squiers yet, in both P and J flavors.

Go to your nearest music store. Play one if you can.

10. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I think the Warwick Rockbass stuff is well worth looking at if you absolutely have to buy new. But for that price range I'd go for a used German Warwick any day!

11. OnlyJerry

OnlyJerry

Mar 28, 2011
    Bryne, Norway
    Sounds pretty damn expensive, mate. And I'm set on buying something new and unused.

I don't get why there's a grudge against the iceman on this board. On ultimate guitar the guitar version of the iceman has an average user review rating of 9.3. I know basses and regular guitars are not the same, but I would expect the same overall quality.

12. Ummmm...yeah. :p

He was wearing a Gene Simmons shirt, and he said the bass "flippin' rocks" and that it was a "winner" compared to all the other "loser stuff" that Ibanez had put out lately.

Hardly what I would call an objective review, but hey, whatever floats your boat. Which brings me to...

I don't see much of a grudge against the Iceman, especially in this posting. A grudge? Really? It may not be a very popular bass - especially when put up against the P and J - but I'd hardly call that a grudge. Nobody is really knocking it.

There is a lesson to be learned here amidst all the reviews and questions and whatnot, grasshopper. Go and play a bunch of basses, and then decide for yourself what it is that you like and don't like.

And then, buy that bass and play the hell out of it. If you're happy with it, then nothing else matters.

13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I bought a P bass last week and my J should be here on Monday. Not my first new basses, or my first basses. I hope they will be my last but that's doubtful.

14. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    Yes, you're loving the LOOKS of it, alright. :) But how does it play?

Both those basses are in the same boat, IMO. They seem cool when you're looking at pictures because they cut a striking figure... they're visually impressive. But they both have serious neck-dive. Some people find this uncomfortable and awkward. I happen to find this uncomfortable and awkward. This is absolutely a deal-breaker for me... no matter how much I love the idea of a stylish rock star bass, I need to feel good when I'm playing it. If you're not so big on balance issues and you can live with neck dive then maybe it's not so bad... play it first.

Tone? Both those basses are warm and fuzzy. I won't say "muddy" because that's derogatory and I don't necessarily mean it in a negative way. If it seems like TB is biased on way or another, don't worry about it, just go with your ears. You might find that warm, thick tone is good but if you want crispness or brightness or articulation, you should go with another bass.

Just my .02. There are no right or wrong answers but, like you, I learned to play on a Fender and I wouldn't want EITHER of those basses.

15. negativeions24

negativeions24 Supporting Member

+1 on the CV Squiers. Especially the Fiesta Red Precision!

16. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I hate to be the one to say it, but some people (me included) just don't dig the looks of Fenders, Squiers, and similarly styled basses. So I can understand why the OP wants something that looks good to him.

There are plenty of unusual looking basses out there, just play some and see what YOU like :)

17. OnlyJerry

OnlyJerry

Mar 28, 2011
    Bryne, Norway
    Yeah, I'll go to my local store and try out a few basses. It's not a very big store, so I'm pretty sure they only have the most popular guitars.

So I've been looking into the Warwick Corvette Basic 4 which seems to be pretty popular around here. Online shops here in Norway lists the price about the same as a Fender Standard Precision bass.

Does the WW Corvette offer versatility?

18. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

If you're worried about things being expensive, why buy new at all?

19. OnlyJerry

OnlyJerry

Mar 28, 2011
    Bryne, Norway
    Because nothing beats the feeling of brand new. I'm pretty sure everyone here can relate to that. In it's current price range a WW Corvette is something I can go for.

The whole reason for asking around is to find out which guitars are reccommended in my price range.

20. InLeoWeTrust

InLeoWeTrust

Nov 11, 2009
    Idaho
    Check out one of the new Squier VM Jaguars - not a P or J, but with a nice, fast, J style neck. Passive P/J, active J, or active MM pickup/electronics configurations, and a nice selection of colors. Don't judge them by your Affinity - I have a Jaguar (P/J) and for the price, it gives my 08 MIA Jazz some stiff competition for my playing time.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021