Need Advice for flying with F-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandonS, Jun 25, 2002.

1. BrandonS

Nov 15, 2000
    I will be flying from dallas to SAn Francisco and would like to take my F-bass with me. All i have is the gig bag that it came with. I need advice on whether to purchase a flight case ( what kind) or whether they will let me put it in an overhead bin or closet.

If i do get a flight case I was thinking of leaving the bass in the gig bag and putting both into a flight case.

2. Brandon,
    Contact F bass. I believe they have flight cases available for their basses. They are not cheap, but I think the investment is very worthwhile for an expensive bass such as the Fs. Get a good case, not one of the discount "flight cases" that will be badly damaged on your first flight.
  3. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Wooten's suggestions are great. I've been using these tactics for years when I fly inter-island here in Hawaii. These are 20-35 minute flights depending on which island you're flying to. I only had once close call when I got there late and they suggested that I check it as baggage because there might not be any available overheard bins. I calmly explained that the bass is a $4,000 instrument (yes, a little exaggeration) and would not survive a trip in the cargo bay. They said I could take it with me, provided that I found a free overhead bin; whew!

For your trip, you might want to consider using a flight case. It would be a great investment if you travel now and then.

One last comment, and it's difficult to get a read on this issue before you get to the actual aircraft that you're flying on. Some of the older aircraft like DC-9s, and other aircraft that are more than 15+ years old may not have any overhead bins that can accomadate the length of a bass. These aircraft have overhead bins that are shorter lengthwise. happy travels!
  4. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I bought a bass on a vacation once and had to fly back with it. So I kept the bass in the gig bag and explained my scenerio to the people at the airport when checking in. Luckily enough there was room in the overhead compartment for it. But if there was not enough room they said they have a special place up at the front of the plane for it. They showed me the place that they had set aside for it and it was very secure and was away from all other passengers. But if you plan on flying often I would go with the flight case.
  5. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Things are different now. I was going to take a bass with me on a Delta flight last month and I was told that I could not, under any circumstances, bring my bass onboard with me. Many airlines have tightened luggage restrictions. I found this out, though, over the phone because I didn't want to just show up and chance it. I've actually heard news stories on NPR about musicians unions petitioning the airlines to relax their restrictions for carry-on musical instruments. No touring orchestral violinist is going to check a Strad...
  6. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Steve Howe will no let anyone touch his prized ES-175D. When he flies, he buys a ticket for it so that he can set it in the seat next to him.
  7. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    You got a great bass-flight case. Now for my DeArmond Pilot Plus 5-an SKB Standard case was more than enough-it survived the trip very well-the only marks on the case was where i took the duct tape off of the latches. Flightcase-my dad told me once i get a custom bass he'll get me a flight case for my birthday or if it's later than that he'll order one for me & then that'll be a christmas present [unless if i go double neck-then he'll pay like $300] thats all
  8. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    When I was heading to Tenn. the beginning of the year I talked with Victor Wooten about traveling with my bass. He said he still brings his onboard and places it in the overhead bin when he flys. He said to call the airline ahead of time...that means a few days before the flight. Then arive earlier than usual so they can check everything out to make sure you are who you say you are and what you are carrying. Make sure it is in a gig bag. No hard cases. you can ask to have them take your bass and put it in a hanging closet if they wont do that then just put it in the overhead bin.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Man...can you imagine JT trying to get onboard with one of his 8 stringers? Coupla nine volt batteried, more electronics than a lap top...."Sir, you're sure this is classified as a musical intrument, and not a computer?"
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hey, Brandon, are you playing a gig in SF?

Let us know where and when.

You could always ship the bass to me via UPS. I'd take care of it until you came for it.:D