Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Advice for MIM Jazz Upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by qbert00001, Jul 23, 2000.

1. qbert00001

qbert00001

May 31, 2000
    OK, well i've decided that the new axe has to wait, but in the meantime i'm doing some upgrading on my MIM (which i plan on keeping after i get another bass anyways). i'm putting on a badass II and i also want tp put on some new pups but need some advice. i've gotten it down to EMG, seymor duncan ultra jazz, or bartolini's. i need some constructive criticism on these 3 (output, sound, etc), not the typical 'gofor the barts cause they're the most expensive, i.e. the best. any input would be very helpful. thanks guys.

------------------
    Breakin' the law! Breakin the law!

2. I used Dimarzio's DP123 standard Jazz set, $90 for the pair, sounds great, just to add another rub. They are each split coil, so they are kind of like P pickups in a J package, and they are individually hum-bucking. I love them, and I put on a BadAss 2 on my Mexican Jazz as well. Very pleased with both the pickups and the bridge.

chris

3. Dolan

Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
    I just replaced pups in my Jazz with Emg's and noticed a nice improvement in the tone.Nice and PHAT.

4. qbert00001

qbert00001

May 31, 2000
    thanks for the input. to both of you, did you notice a change in tone with the new pups? i've heard that anything but the fender j pups will take away from that j growl that i love; is this true? also to throbbinut- do the dimarzio's sound like j pup's or are they more p sounding (because of the split coil)? and Dolan, which particular model of EMG's did you put on there? thanks again.

------------------
    Breakin' the law! Breakin the law!

[This message has been edited by qbert00001 (edited July 23, 2000).]

5. Dolan

Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
    qbert,

I dropped in Emg J's.I noticed a change and for the good.More volume and just a deeper fatter tone not to mention the mids and highs becoming more "functional".I prefer active pups myself but this is another very subjective subject.Good luck!!

6. The DiMarzios sound more P-like but still have the J growl. You'll need to scoop out the low mids, cut the lows, and crank the treble for maximum J-ness, though.

My advice? Save your money. I had a MIM Jazz and spent more than what I paid for it on getting a pair of DiMarzio Model Js and an EMG BTC Control installed (labor's hellaexpensive). Save up a little more money until you can get a nicer bass like a Czech-made Dean Edge Select/Improv, a souped-up Carvin, or maybe even a Warwick Corvette.

7. if u want that j growl, then why not stay with fender pickups? The custom shop pickups are only like $100 a set, and are the ones they use in the re-issues and stuff, i hear theyre very nice, and fender claims that they sound "aged"

8. Those are three VERY different pickups....and which Bart? Bartolini make a wide range of pickups that fit a J routing.

"If you want a J growl, use Fender pickups." Makes sense to me.

The DiMarzio Ultrajazz and the model J are very different pickups. The Model J just does not sound like a Jazz bass pup. It is a hangover from the 70s, and there are better pickups around for the sound. The Ultrajazz, though a humbucker, still sounds pretty J ish.

I have never heard CS60s, but all the feedback suggests they are very accurate replicas of 60s jazz pickups.

The Seymour Duncan vintage pickups are very mellow. Too mellow for what you want.

Fender American Standard stock pickups are pretty good...

Those are the pups I know. Of the ones you have mentioned, I'd probably go for the Ultrajazz.

Andy