Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need advice for purchase of practise amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr. Herman, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Dr. Herman

Dr. Herman

Aug 11, 2004
    Hi, I am about to begin my Ph.D and i therefore cannot find the time to practise with two bands, so I am selling the majority of my bass gear.

I now need a practise amp for gome practise. Can anybody advise me in which to buy.

In has to be small and light, and the sound should be as good as possible. The price does not matter. I live in Europe, so american boutique amps are not retailed overhere, so it has to be a brand that can be bought most places.

I am considering:

Ampeg BA-110
    Nemesis Silver N10S
    Vox T60
    Ashdown Five Fifteen

Anybody have any experiences with any of these comboes?

Any other suggestions?

2. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Check out the Phil Jones Briefcase amp.

Its 100 watts in a 28 pound combo (has 2 five inch speakers) and it will amaze you. You can start at ...
    philjonesbass.com
    I don't know if they have a European outlet, but they do direct sales.

Disclaimer - I am in no way connected to Phil Jones, just a very happy customer. :hyper:

3. the_home

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Well, turns out Phil Jones does have European distributors, and in you 'neck of the woods. If you go to the Jones web site click on the 'dealers' tab and make your way to the listing of international distributors.

Best of luck.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my advice would be to keep the EBS head you have and find a small 1x12 or 1x15 cabinet. Maybe even a 1x10. Just sell your 4x10 cab.

That way, when you're ready to play again, you won't need to start entirely from scratch. Chances are you wont be able to sell your head for too much more than it would cost to buy a new practice amp, which are usually unsuitable for gigs.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

FOr band practice, I use a AMP BH-420 head and a Avatar CB112 cab. PERFECT for practice and small - Medium sized gigs.

6. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    I would take Ivans's advice...I did the same thing sold my big rig for a little combo regreted it....

7. If you want an as good as possible sound, I don't think you could go wrong with a Phil Jones Briefcase. As noted above, they are fantastic - very hi-fi - sounding amps.
    Keeping the EBS head and buying a small cab - like an EBS neodyne 1x12 or 1X10 - is also a good idea. Especially if you want to jam or gig every now and then. A head and cabinet setup is more flexible than a combo, even if a good combo would be enough on most smaller gigs.

8. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    Keep the Fafner, and buy a EBS Neo 112/110. These small things sounds great.

Also have a look at the AER-stuff from Germany.

9. Dr. Herman

Dr. Herman

Aug 11, 2004
    Hi, Thank you for your reply.

I will check out that suitcase amp. 2 x 5" that doesn't really sound bass oriented to me ;)

I have already sold my EBS Fafner, and still need to sell the EBS 4x10!

I am probably keeping the Hughes & Kettner Bassbase 400. It is not really a wellknown amp in Denmark so i can probably not get any money out of it, eventhough its a really nice amp. The Fafner on the other hand was pretty easy to get sold.

The amp i am looking for is entirely ment for home practise, why it should be small and good sounding. It wouldn't be a bad thing if it looked good either, i bet my girl friend cant see the beauty in a Svt-CL+8x10 in the corner of our livingroom

10. the_home

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I acknowledge that a 2 x 5 combo does not sound like a bass rig, but you'll be amazed! I played mine in a group setting last night (drums, guitar (amplified) and acoustic grand piano in a rather large church) and came thru well.

The Phil Jones company is very big in the audio-phile market and evidently discovered how to make these little five inch speakers do unbelieveable things.

Try it out, you won't be sorry!
    :bassist: