Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need advice for rackmount effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jebthebassist, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    I'm looking to purchase a good inexpensive rackmount effects processor that can do; synth, fuzz/distortion, chorus, flange, delay, and wah. I dont want to spend a lot of money since i just bought a rather expensive bass amp cab, but I DONT want to have the effects sound cheap... and totally ruin my sound. I want to be able to run at least 3 or so effects at the same time if need be (just would be nice to have) So any advice on any equipment that fits this description would be great. (I dont want to spend more than 400 or so on it)

Also on a side note, I'm looking for a rack tuner... everyone seems to have korg which is nice but i want to be a bit diff. I've looked at peterson autostrobes but theyre to expensive. any good rackmount (inexpensive) strobe tuners out there that arent sabine or korg?

2. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I've been looking into effects & a rackmount tuner as well my man. What is the benefit for you of having your effects in your rack vs at your feet?
    I was looking at the Boss GT6B or pedals to avoid the extra rack load, tuner and have control of the effects when playing live.

3. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    Thanks for the info! Well, the main reason to go with a rack is so all i have is my rack and my cab... 2 things to transport. I would get a MIDI controller or some foot switch for the rack effects. But yeah ive been thinking a little bit with some pedals... im not sure what i want to do, essentially either way i go i will probably be spending the same amount of cash (rackmount of pedals) but i might spend more with pedals because of pedal board and i would want higher end pedals... Yeah, I'm still aways from getting either of the two possibilities but I just want to know what to start checking out.

4. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    We're in the same exact boat. I would get rackmount effects but I just don't see how they are modifiable on stage... good luck, i'll be checking in to see what you do.

5. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    You can easily use foot MIDI controllers to change programs on a rack effects unit. As far as good rack processors, i dont think there's any rack bass multi effects units. However, the Line 6 Mod Pro has some good modulation effects (flange, phase, chorus), the Line 6 Echo Pro has a plethora of delay effects, including a sampler, and the Line 6
    Filter Pro has a ton of strange filter and synth effects, and it does have a standand wah function (which may be pretty terrible, i have yet to hear anything from this unit).
    http://www.line6.com/products.html?category=6

What you can also do (which i do), is to rack mount individual pedals, and then buy a MIDI signal router like the GCX audio switcher (http://www.voodoolab.com/gcsystem.html) or the Axess Electronics GRX-4 (http://www.axess-electronics.com/_grx4.htm)

In any case, you will still need to lug around another foot controller, so its not a bad idea to look into individual pedals for a floor board or a good floor multi-effects like the new Boss units.

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    OK, there are a few rack mount bass multi-effects units out there.

#1. Line 6 Bass POD Pro and PODxt Pro (available new and the xt version is fully midi controllable)
    #2. Behringer V-Amp Pro (also available new and midi controllable)
    #3. ART Nightbass (discontinued but can be had for very reasonable price)

I have the Nightbass. Some say alot of negative crap about it but I love it. It has alot of really good effects and every parameter of a patch or effect is fully adjustable.

If you want to know the pros to having a rack mount I'll give you might point of view. I like that just about every effect I could ever need is in one package. With my X-15 midi foot controller I can move through my presets with ease and turn on/off any effect I want in a given preset. I also have two expression pedals that can be assigned to whatever I want. At one end it can be distortion and as I rock the pedal it can blend to a full chorus or whatever else. Its all in the programming to set it up. I also don't have to have a messy pedal board with alot of expensive 9 volt batteries. OK, I'll give on the fact you can get a power supply to run all of them but they aren't that cheap.

The cons, hmm....well if the unit dies you lose all your effects. It does take more of a learning curve than a pedal with knobs on it.

I can't help you on the tuner, I use a Korg DTR-2 :D The nightbass has one built in but it not as easy to use as my Korg.

7. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Thanks for the advice, I see some of the benefits there of the rackmount. I just think the big Boss pedal board will have good live playability at a good price and avoid starting a rackmount system. I also don't want to lose too much sound, spend too much cash with tons of pedals. If I did find a really good rackmount multieffect system with awesome live show control I would go for it... for the right price of course <350$. I have a feeling I'm going to use them very sparingly with my style as it is. The bass is the bass, I sit back & know my role with my music!
    Any more suggestions for multieffects rackmount or units?
    Help is awesome!

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    How much control do you need? On the Nightbass you can dial in the effects that you want before a show and store them as "new" patches. You can store 84 of them before you start overwriting the factory presets. Then all you have to do is pick which one you need and activate it. With the Windows PC editor you can set them up for your set list and just scroll to the next one as the song comes up. You could change your preset order or build totally new presets every day before a gig. Its a lot easier than it sounds.

BTW, sometimes you can pick them up for like $100 with the foot controller!

9. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I've been using a Boss VF-1 for sometime now, and I still am loving it. I had the GT-6B also, but IMHO the VF-1 is way more flexible, and considerably easier to tweak while on a gig. They aren't made anymore but you can find them used on Ebay all the time. The VF-1 has pretty much any effect you would want to use (and some you wouldn't want to use). Of course, you'll have to spend some time configuring it for your tastes (you WILL want to tweak the factory presets...) but I think it's the best "bang for buck" rackmount unit out there. Control it with any midi foot controller (I use a Midibuddy) and you're set!.