1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need advice for Trace Elliot AH1000-12 and SWR Sm900 settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pedulla-Player, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Pedulla-Player

Pedulla-Player G-B-W : https://www.reverbnation.com/gbw1

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    I just recieved my new Trace Elliot AH1000-12 Bass Amp today and I was a little overwhelmed reading through the owners manual on all the different controls to set my sound. I'm going to power two 8 OHM SWR Goliath IV 4x10 cabinets with it. I play in a classic rock band , but I do add some slap (& pop) in the songs here and there. Can anyone give me some advice or take a photo of their settings and share them with me?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also just picked up a new SWR SM900 Bass head a few days ago that I'm still messing around with the settings on. I'm not sure yet which one is going to be my main amp and which one is going to be my back-up. Both of these amps are a lot different than what I used to play through. Thanks , Pedulla-Player

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    IMO, you'll need to find your own settings because not everyone has the same amp/cabs as you.

3. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy

I don't know your specific model, but Trace Elliot usually had a pre shape button that scoops out some mids.
    I think it should work if you want to change your settings on-the-fly switching from fingerstyle to slap&pop

4. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    If you search the forum there is plenty of advice on settings for the SM900. Frankly I was never so relieved as when I ditched mine and replaced it with a Markbass. But hey, one man's meat is another man's poison. If it was me the TE would definitely be my go-to amp.

5. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    That may be the case , but it already gives me a better sound than I got out of my Genz Benz GBE1200 and that's just with all of the SM900's knobs set at 12:00. Pedulla-Player

6. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    So bottom line; how do the 2 amps compare for you when set flat or with just a small EQ bump?

With my Trace, I like it either flat (both pickups) or +6 at 100 Hz and -6 at 340 hz through a Berg HT322

7. I too have the TE AH1000-12 amp and it IS a go-to amplifier (HIGHLY underrated).. it has tone in spades and lots of power to match... the power is stereo so you can't bridge to get the full 1000 though.. great if you use 2 cabinets though.

8. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    One of the best ways to use SWR ..... flat. Next reduced treble, no limiter, very little aural enhancer or less than 11:00. Cabs tweeters barely on, not off. Probably told you this already.:)

9. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    You don't need to make me sound stupid , I can handle that quite well by myself thank you. I definatley realize that not everybody has my same amp / speaker combo. I was just asking for advice on setting up my new amps , to give me a starting point that I can adjust a bit to get the sound that I'm looking for. These two new amps of mine ( Especially the Trace ) have a lot more features that any of my previous amps have had. I was just asking for a little advice to give me a better starting point then just everything set at 12:00. Pedulla-Player

10. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Easy, buddy, easy! I don't think he was trying to make you sound stupid....just reminding you to take setting suggestions with a grain of salt.

For the Trace stuff that I have owned I find that engaging the Pre-shape button and actually cutting a bit of lows gives me a great starting point. But I also play G&Ls through Eden cabs which both seem to sound naturally beefy.

11. ilovethesechord

ilovethesechord

Jun 27, 2008
    Lets see... you say you'll be playing many classic rock songs, so I'm assuming that the guitar will be played through some kind of vintage tube amp. (e.i. Twin Reverb or something along those lines..

What I would do in that situation would be... cut back just a few lows, boost mids a wee bit, and mix in about 40 or 50 percent of the tube.

The tube channel, along with the pre-shape selector and the graphic EQ channel, should provide a great selection of tones, all of which would be easily accessible.

That's just coming from mine experience with the amp, granted, however, I've yet to use mine for classic rock :smug:

12. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin