Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need advice for truss rod repair

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by L-1329, Jan 29, 2005.

1. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    I have a Carvin LB75, assymetric neck that has a snapped truss rod, and have a couple questions for the pro's here. First, is pulling the fretboard off and reseating a new rod something that would cause more problems than it solves? Also I am wondering how it would turn out. This one has a painted neck, so would that need to be refinished as well? I am located in Chicago, and would hopefully be able to find a good shop/ luthier nearby, but does anyone have any good recomendation on who I could have do this repair? I certainly appreciate any advice you have to offer, and hopefully can get my bass revived!

2. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    The finish will have to be taken off on the seam where ebony meets maple on the fretboard. There is a good tutorial on getting a fretboard off on http://www.projectguitar.com .
    It takes steam, patience and a good tool to wedge it off. This type of repair is hard and will probably be somewhat expensive. There could be a way of cutting a square out of ebony board at the 23 or 24th fret and then pulling truss rod out, who knows. I would try to do it this way, locating end of truss rod and cutting ebony square out.