Need advice from ESSEX (SX) bass players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, May 1, 2004.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Hey there,
    Just a quick question. How are the necks on your SX basses? Are they strait? Do they require more than average adjustments? How is the finish on them? How do the Jazz and precision, and maple and rosewood necks compare? etc, etc...

I am looking for cheap relacement necks for two building projects (cheap "retro" style basses from old japanese bodies) and I saw the replacement necks at Rondo. My brother has an SX bass that he likes, but I don't want to take the plunge on one experience alone.
    Thanks in advance,
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My neck is fine. Straight as an arrow, even had to put a little relief in it myself.
  3. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    no problems here with mine. made a very slight adjustment when I first got it and haven't touched it since. :cool:
  4. no problems with my sx neck. However, the frets might need filing... I've done a little filing, but my frets are still uneven in some places. I'll get around to fixing it someday.
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I owned a Jazz 4 for awhile and the frets were fine- no filing required. I hardly had to adjust the neck when I got it.
  6. I've owned a SX P and a J and several of their necks alone - even built an instrument or 2 with them. No problems except with fret detail on the maple/maple versions. They'll need some attention. Rosewood necks don't seem to have this problem as much. I've had one neck that arrived with a slight twist but Kurt remedied that as soon as I let him know. They all adjust readily and stay straight for as long as most necks would in similiar conditions. I certainly don't have any complaints about them.

Hope this helps.
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    After 2 years and 100's of hours of recording and gigging, I finally have a dead fret on my bone stock SX Jazz 4. Not bad for a $100 bass. :cool: Outside of a neede fret job, I'm still leaving her stock. Three of the songs on our new album were recorded with the SX.
  8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    What's the size difference between the sx necks and a fender? Deeper, shallower, wider, thinner?
    Thanks in advance
  9. The one on my 5 was fine and I could get the action pretty low, till the neck got warped a lil. The 4 that I had gotten from SMASH (one he spoke about in above post) was totally excellent. Solid and could get a great setup on it.