1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need advice from pedal board masters!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Buddah999, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Buddah999

Buddah999

Oct 29, 2007
    Miami, Fl
    Ok, I'm going to upgrade my amp, so with it, I wanted to upgrade my effects. I currently have a Boss GT-6B, and I wanted to get individual stomp boxes. I know what effects I wanted, however I know once the chain gets long enough, you need some extra things to help, but I dont know what those things are. I wanted to get:

A rack compressor
    Chorus
    Delay
    Flanger
    Tremello
    Bass Wah
    Distortion (probably a Big Fuzz)
    (If I can find it cheap) Digitech Bass Whammy
    Reverb
    Analog Tuner

That should be everything I would want. Is there anything else I would need? I know I dont need a DI cause I use GK and there is one built in the amp.

Also what is the best brand for rack compressors? The only compressor I've used is the one on my GT-6B and its not very good IMO.

2. SS_korn89

SS_korn89

Mar 10, 2004
    Omaha
    The only thing I would recommend is maybe a noise suppressor or booster for the end of the chain, but if you don't hear any of those problems then don't worry about it. Another thing that i do on my board is get a true bypass loop pedal and put all your effects in your loop. That way you get no 'tone suck' and if you need 2 or 3 effects on at once you just have to hit one switch:)

Also I heard dbx compressors are awesome, but i've never used one...

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1, noise supressor, maybe a clean boost, but you may need neither. Just set them up and see how it sounds, possibly swapping the order around till it sounds like you want it.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Any particular reason why rack? Nothing wrong with that, just curious.
    Your searches will return better results with the spelling 'tremolo'.
    Do you mean the 'Big Muff'? It's a fuzz. Check the FAQ for an explanation of overdrive, distortion, and fuzz.
    Have you ever seen one cheap? They haven't been 'cheap' in a decade. They are rare, and hotly in demand by people willing to pay hundreds of dollars.
    Another "just curious" question, but is there a reason you specify 'analog'? What is the analog aspect you are thinking about?
    A pro will often carry a spare DI box in case anything goes wrong with their amp.
    There is no one "best brand" of any kind of gear. The best unit will be the one that performs the functions you need at a price you can afford. Check the FAQ linked in my sig for an explanation of the different functions of a compressor.

5. Buddah999

Buddah999

Oct 29, 2007
    Miami, Fl
    Well I know that there are some really good floor compressors, however I know I would have a lot of floor stompboxes. Honestly if there was a floor compressor that blew away all rack compressors, I would check it out.

Please excuse my spelling. My dyslexia often times gets the best of me :crying:

Yes. I ment the Big Muff. My dyslexia seems to be running rampart.

Yes, but craigslist is awsome if you can catch someone who needs to pay a bill/get a fix... Nevertheless, its pretty low on my priority list, but if I can get one under my terms, then I will have it.

Yes. I have used alot of digital tuners. Some are ok. I have a buddy that has an analog tuner, and he is dead on every time. I want accuracy which is why I specified analog.

Good point. Perhaps I should pick one up at one point just in case.

Yes, very true. I know that all information is seasoned to taste, but I feel that it is still good to find out what others perfer which is why I asked that question.

Thanks everyone for all responses thus far. Everything posted has been very helpful!

Man do I love this site... :bassist::bassist:

6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Bongo is the it around here on comps check out his review site in his sig. I agree with almost all of his points on the comps that I have used that he has used.

A tuner is only as a good as how in tune who ever you are playing with is in tune:D

As for Wahs I like the 105Q
    As for Chorus I don't really like them
    As for Delay I like analog ones [maxon ad-900 is my favorite]
    As for Flangers I like old DOD ones like the FX 75
    As for Tremolo you need to look into what functions and sound is your deal
    As for Distortion Big muffs are nice [I have two] but you must narrow down the sound you actually want or buy many pedals
    As for Reverb I don't like pedal based verb
    :)Have a nice day:)