1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

need advice from users of both the GK 200MB and the GK MB150

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dean owens, Apr 9, 2009.

1. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    the amp at my church seems to keep having issues so i'm thinking about buying a new amp for the church. since i'm a GK man, that's where i'm leaning. i wouldn't mind getting one of the new mb500-2x10 combos but it's a little overkill for the room. we seat about 180 or so. and there's a direct line to the board. this is only used for stage volume ("competing" with an acoustic, an electric, piano, tuba, trombone, french horn and electric drums).

having said all that i'm thinking one of the mini 1x12 combos. i have experience with the 200rcb (the head version of the 200mb) and really liked it. but i'd have to go used for that one. since it'll be used by a lot of people, and hopefully for a while, i was really thinking about buying new.

so for those with experience with both i have a few questions.
    - how similar do they sound to each other?
    - any issues with buying a used 200mb?
    - is it worth the extra money to get a new 150 vs. a used 200?
    - should i ditch these two and get the mb2-500-2x10?
    - is there another amp i should be looking at?

thanks for the help.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The MB 150 S and E have a fuller sound than the 200. However, the new MB 150 has a switch to mimic the sound of the 200. One of my students who has a 200 says the two amps can sound quite similar.

The main issues with buying a 200 are, it's out of production and it's used. It depends on what shape it's in.

I think it's worth the extra money (to me anyhow) to get a new MB150. I get a warranty and a new amp in perfect shape. In fact, I own one and love it. With an extension cab I can get the full 150 watts and that will do me for most gigs I play these days.

If you can afford the MB500 and a good 2x10 go for it. You'll like having the extra power. You may not need it for church, but you will some other places. The MB150, even with the matching 1x12' extension is not a really loud rig. A very good 2x10 cab, like the GK, would sound better and play louder without breaking up.

Should you be looking for something else? No, not if you like GK. I wouldn't play anything else except a Mesa Walkabout Scout, which I also owned for 4 years.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    IMO, the MB150 amps are boxier sounding than the 200MB I used to own.