Need advice-going off the diet

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I've been on a low cal/healthy diet for a while now, and am getting pretty close to my target weight. I started at only 800-1000 calories a day (I know, bad idea...too low) but over the last couple of months upped it to approx. 1200 a day.

Now, while I am not completely "finished" with the "diet" part of my diet, I am wondering if I should up the calorie intake some in preparation for the maintenance mode of it.

I plan to stay at a healthy 2000-2500 calories a day indefinitely to maintain the weight, but think it could be a shock to my metabolism to make that kind of jump all at once. Should I be upping the intake gradually until I reach my desired point? I've lost about 80% of my original weight loss goal, and just want to do what is best.
  2. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Well, when you get that urge to 'celebrate' reaching your goal weight by having a triple helping of 'genocide by chocolate' over pasta with cheese sauce on top...Don't do that.
  3. lol first of all by definition under 900 calories is considered 'starvation', but i bet by your hunger these last few months you already knew that ;). But yes uping your calorie intake really quickly is not good for your body, it won't know how to take so much so quickly. I suggest increasing your calories by week and in a month you should be at your goal calorie stage without any problem. So increase probably 200-300 calories each week and you should be fine :D
  4. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Yeah, I think it'd be best to just take it slowly, or you will instantly pile it all back on again!

Do you exercise too? Just some low level exercise a couple of times a week should help maintain your desired weight and burn off any excess calories. :)

It's probably worth checking with your doctor too, just to make sure you are on the right track (if you haven't already that is!)

and congratulations on (almost) reaching your target! :D
  5. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Congrats - I just took off a bunch of weight and am within 10 lbs. of my ultimate goal... sounds like we are in a similar situation. At the risk of stating the really obvious, I'd say to just step on the scale every morning and see how your strategy is working. I've been doing that to get me past the various "plateaus" that I've hit when losing the weight, and do the same thing to make sure I maintain on those weeks where I can't squeeze in enough exercise to lose any more.

Good luck... and let us know how it goes.
  6. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    WOW! We should start a fatties support group! I'm in the hands of a nutritionist. This has been my first week and I lost almos 5kg (10 pounds) with a protein diet (yes, just dead animals -as much as I want- and 4 oranges a day). This helps deflate faster at the begining. Next wednesday (and every two weeks) they're changing my diet (can't do proteins only for more than 2 weeks or so). They also do some electrical stimulation on my stomach with two electrodes for a minute or so. They say it helps fight hunger. I weight 130kg (260lb aprox) and my ideal weight is between 90 and 100 kg. I think normal "variety" diets don't go lower than 1500 calories. So 800 calories must be a real challenge to your will! Congratulations on that!

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio

Bard, actually, rarely have I been hungry. I know at the beginning it was too low, but I have always maximized my "bang for the buck" when it came to the calories......lots of veggies and such. After reading what TOO low of calorie intake can do, I upped it without really slowing the weight loss down too awful much.

I have pretty consistently been getting 1000-1200 calories a day, and for the past 2 weeks been walking 2-5 miles a night on average, 3-4 times a week (weather permitting). I feel better, and definitely look better!

It has come off amazingly fast......I started the very last week if January at 270, and am down to 203.....goal weight is 180, although I am actually looking fairly fit at my current weight given my build.....just need to start some workouts for some areas in need of tone.
  8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Congrats! Actually I find the weight loss process has been a lot easier than I had expected. I have NO willpower when it comes to things like this. You just have to decide what you are going to do, be serious about it, and stick to it.
  9. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Tim, I honestly find it depends on exercise and how fast / slow your metabolism is. I know that with 5 hours a week at the gym (1 hour sessions, 30 min cardio, 30 weights) i can get away with about 1500 calories a day. My girlfriend does the same gym trips as me and maintains weight with about 1600 cals.
  10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I liked the fat, cuddly, curvy donkey better!

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I think the reccomended balanced diet for adult males is about 2,500 calories a day, 2,000 for females (on average). I could be wrong, but that is my understanding. If you are doing that much working out, and only "getting away with" 1500 calories, you have a very slow metabolism.
  12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    LOL, actually, I thought of my favorite pizza once I hit 200, but doubt I will do so right away. A dinner out with the wife with reasonable selections sounds like a much better idea.

I am still sticking to this to my goal weight, but just looking to ease myself into a healthy, normal calorie intake to prepare for when I am "off" of the diet. I don't plan to go back to old junk food ways, I looked at this as more of changing my eating habits, than a quick fix for a diet and plan to keep it that way.
  13. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Tim, that's a pretty incredible rate of weight loss. Hopefully you won't find this to be true, but if you are committed to getting those last few lbs. off, you *may* find that it gets harder as you approach your "ideal" weight. I keep having to up the ante on diet and exercise the closer I get to my goal.

Oh, and Thor - guess you'll just have to buy a subscription over at the website! :p :D ;)
  14. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I eat fatty rubbish like curry and burgers and pizzas :D!
  15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yeah, the first week I lost about 20 pounds, and made myself sick. I wouldn't even think that would be possible, but it happened.

Even though I am exercising regularly, the loss has slowed down to a couple pounds a week....which kind of sucks, but is really the rate to be losing it.
  16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Heh, I love that kind of stuff too, and haven't sworn it off for life. I look forward to a nice big cheeseburger, or my favorite pizza soon, but it will never be a part of my daily diet again.

I'll have to get the wife to snap a pic, to show my 90 days progress by before/after. Even my face looks a lot different.......I am a bit ashamed I let myself get so far out of shape.
  17. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Helpful Diet Tips

If no one sees you eat it, it has no calories.

If you drink a diet soda with a candy bar,
    they cancel each other out.

If you eat standing up, it doesn't count!

If you eat the food off someone else's plate,
    it doesn't count.

Cookie pieces contain no calories because the
    process of breakage cause calorie leakage.

Food used for medicinal purposes have no
    calories. This includes: any chocolate used for
    energy, brandy, cheesecake, and Haagen-Daaz Ice

When eating with someone else, calories don't
    count if you both eat the same amount.

Movie-related foods are much lower in calories
    simply because they are a part of the
    entertainment experience and not part of one's
    personal fuel. This includes: Milk Duds, popcorn
    with butter, Junior Mints and Snickers.

Ray :D