need advice/help...BAD roomate problems!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Roommates. Probably a favorite ranting topic for many college folk, or other people who have them. Bear with me though this rant please, I need advice.

The roommate I have is absolutely AWFUL. He's my friends little brother. Since we live in a duplex he asked me last year if I would mind if his little brother could live there this year. And I said of course. My friend left out the part that his little brother is a dirty irresponsible disgusting slob and a complete moron.

Where to start....

It is painfully obvious that this is the first time this kid has ever lived away from home. It's also obvious this kids mommy did everything for him. To rub it in my face even more, this kids mom gives him 100$ a week for spending money. In this college town that's insane! I can barley afford to buy food sometimes, I wish I had someone giving me 100$ a week.

He is so messy you would think I was exaggerating if I went into great detail. This kid leaves s**t EVERYWHERE. Including garbage wrappers, food wrappers, food, pop can, beer cans, dishes (someone he manages to get pots and pans in the middle of the living room floor), books, papers, even his bags of marijuana all over the place (which is the only good thing, he dosn't even realize he has any half the time). He never does ANY dishes, never changes the garbage, when the garbage is completely full, his just tosses what little garbage he does manage to throw away on top of the overflowing mess, or just leaves it on the floor. He has terrible body odor sometimes, epically when he lays around with his shirt off. And this is just a little example of how bad he is.

I am usually a clean/organized person most of the time, and this is really starting to get old. I constantly pick up his clutter, sometimes right in front of him while he watches TV or whatever, and it dosn't register with him. He constantly leaves my food out and unwrapped so it goes bad. I told him 4 times this week alone to please wrap food up and put things away. Then this mourning I wake up only to see a half of pan of fried beans left on the stove, both my hamburger buns and loaf of bread left unwrapped, butter left out with lid off, and our box of frozen hamburger patties left out. I finally went off a little on him, and he looked like he wanted to kill me.

So what's the deal with this kid, what is wrong with him? Seems no matter what I do or tell him he just shrugs off or forgets. Any advice from any of you who have had bad roommates like this?
  2. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Welll, first off, I can one up you...

In my wifes youth, she had just moved to ***** for a job. She didn't even have a place to stay, but, her company had this thing, where they set her up w/ a co-worker as a roommate. The guy was an obese, overweight, middle aged guy,, who seemed harmless enough. That is, until one day she woke up & he was jerking off on her back,, while she slept. Noone at her their work believed her. So, she basically stared baracading her door shut from the inside, to keep him out...

Next, you need to have a talk w/ the kids mom, & spell it out REALLY simple for her... Either he fixes his behavior,, or he's gone... Unless you want to handle it yourself, but taking all of his messes & dumping them all in his bed.
  3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    He sounds like my step brother...

He piles all his crap on my bed since I'm only there 6 days a month... and then gets all indignant when I simply throw all his crap on the floor. No matter what it is.

He never does dishes... Sometimes he'll take them to the sink, but will NEVER load them up. He will never do anything, house wise, unless he is specificly told to... And even then, he argues.

He leaves his socks by the couch... He puts the TV remote in his mouth... He is always loud... He smacks when he chews....

And he leaves hair on the soap.

My solution?

Homicide, justified by "purifying the gene pool"
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    One idea, if the mom route doesnt work.
    Another: unplug the TV; maybe even bet a fuse out. Probably he'll be too lazy to go and check it and he'll think its not working, so he will go elsewhere to watch it.
    One more: tell him to get his own food, and dont let him touch you own food.

But still, your best bet is talking with her mom and getting rid of him
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Back "in the day", I lived in a big house with several people. One bedroom in this large house was occupied by a couple. They were the most disgusting PIGS I've ever met. Never cleaned ANYTHING, particularly their dirty dishes. Now, I'm pretty understanding about their room, it is THEIR room, if they want to live in filth, that's their problem, as long as the rats and cockroaches stay outta my room at least.

My pet peeve is bathrooms and kitchens.

I get CLEAN in bathrooms, so, the MUST be CLEAN. No discussion, no negotiation. They left dirty towels everywhere, didn't flush half the time, etc, etc.

I PREPARE FOOD and EAT in the kitchen, so it MUST be CLEAN. They NEVER washed a dish, left used pots and pans on the stove, etc, etc.

My solution: I took all the used towels off the bathroom floor (after using them to mop up all the smegma off the floor), took all of their week-old unwashed dishes from the kitchen, and put them right in the middle of their bed when they weren't home. I wasn't neat about it either, just DROPPED the dishes.

It worked. After a bit of yelling and screaming.

I don't "do" roommates anymore, if we're romantically involved and you're female, you can live with me, otherwise, forget it.
  6. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    be even worse slab... that will make it ok...

7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

explain to your friend , that his little brother is a complete tool ...
    explain to your friends mother that her son is a complete tool ...
    then kick his lazy @ss out of the apartment !!
    no need to feel guilty , just do it soon !
    been there , done that ...
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You win.
  9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    That is pretty great. That's definitely gonna get added to my normal vocabulary rotation.

As far as the slob goes...

If it's truly your place, kick him out. If his family objects, show them how he treats your place and tell them that you refuse to deal with someone with so little respect for housemates. If you can't kick him out, tell him that messy people end up sleeping with the fishes.
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    that is the worst roomate story I've ever heard.
  11. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I had a roommate not too long ago who decided that he didn't want to have to leave his bedroom when he had to go to the bathroom. So, he came up with this: "Once I drink a 2-liter of soda, I'll just keep the empty bottle and pee in that!"

Not too crazy so far, but the kicker was that he wouldn't just pee in the bottle once, he'd keep it in his room until it was full of 2 liters of urine.

But do we stop there? NOOOOOOO. When a bottle was full, he didn't want to carry it to the trash, so he'd stick it in his closet. Right next to the heating vent.

When he moved out (technically skipped out on rent and cleaning) I had to throw away twelve 2 liter bottles full of ancient pee. 3 didn't even have caps on.

He never once flushed the toilet, and once when he ran out of toilet paper in one bathroom, rather than ask me to get some out of the other bathroom or get it himself, He wiped his *** with MY BATH TOWEL.

He also never cleaned his room in the year he lived there, and man, that was horrible. Fortunately for you guys, most of the worst I can't talk about in OT since it's definitely NOT suitable for anyone under 18.

I even tried Gard's method of dumping all that nonsense in his bed while he was at work, and he just came back, dumped the dishes on the floor of his room, and went to sleep in the rest of it.

Bad Brains, I say kick yours out NOW. It'll only get worse.
  12. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    couple of questions:

You said he could live there a year- is that year almost up?

If that is an extra person living in your house is he paying you any rent?

Have you talked to your friend about how you hate living with his brother?
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm 20. PM me.
  14. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    You've got PM.
  15. Yeah, get rid of this slob pronto. That's just disguisting.
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ... Only was right. He did leave the worst out.
  17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I never thought Id say this but...

Only has another PM.
  18. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Done and done.
  19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
  20. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    For these and other reasons, I don't ever plan on living with a room mate. Unless I decide to go to Rutgers New Brunswick, i'll be commuting to college. The same for med school if I go that route; I'd either commute to UMDNJ or live in Long Island and commute to Stony Brook.