1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need advice! Help me buy lighter rig and bass.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lacatts, May 5, 2006.

1. I recently injured my back (again) and it's just too painful.
    I've got to rid myself of this ridiculous weight carry night after night, or change careers. I really have no other choices.
    What I've been using: Aguilar db750 (70 lbs!)
    Eden wt550 (18 lbs. not too bad)
    Aggie gs-115 (80 lbs.)
    Aggie gs-212 (70 lbs.)
    2 Eden 210xlt's (68 lbs each.)
    What I need: I don't know.
    Please help someone who loves music extend his career. Every response will be read, remembered, and appreciated.
    If you'd like to know what i decide on, I'll post that, too.
    Thank you all. I know you know what I'm talking about.

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I'd day keep the WT-550 and scrap everything else. Euphonic Audio makes some great lightweight cabs (I use a Wizzy 1-12) that matches up well with Eden gear (I use a WT-400). Lots of people are raving about the new generation of lightweight Neodymium cabs from Epifani, Accugroove, Schroeder, MarkBass, and others. 4X10s of 60# and 1x15s under 40# are now a reality (as are 30# 1x12s and 20# 1x10s)!

Basswise, maybe custom would be your best route so a builder could spec everything to balance right. You could also try putting together a Warmoth parts bass--they have weights listed for all the bodies they sell. Or possibly a nice acoustic/electric hybrid like a Turner or Rob Allen. It all depends on your style of music and budget--but if you're a pro maybe you could have your doctor write a prescription for lightweight gear and have insurance pick up the tab...;) Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

3. MiniMic

MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    Please keep in mind this is one guy's opinion.
    Without knowing your style of playing or sound perferences.
    I would sell out what you have now amp/speaker wise
    and get yourself 1-Aguilar AG-500(18lbs) and 2-Aguilar single 12" cabs (42lbs) each AND THEN buy a small wheeled luggage carrier.
    So what if you have to make one or two extra trips back to your car . .!

Bass wise get yourself a LAKLAND Hollowbody bass, and have at it. My opinion stems from 40 years playing bass w/spina bifida and being only 4feet 3inches tall. I been searching most of that 40 years for gear I can actually move myself and I think I finally found some. And yes I DO KNOW what you're talking about. Dont be afraid to ask for help to move your gear. I too have no other choice than to keep playing.

I hope you find some comfort in overcoming your disability.

Peace
    Mike C

PS If you would like to discuss some other suggestions with me just send me a PM, I'd be happy to help:)

4. Slink

Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    What are your weight limits for lifting? I'm guessing from the equipment you own that you like or need to play loud. So here's my 2 cents.

I would keep the WT550 and I would look at the Schroeder Neo cabs, they are made in California so go try one out. A Schroeder 1212L is listed at 38lbs. The mini12 is 22lbs. two or 4 of these cabs should keep ya rockin.

I have a WT550 and a Schroeder 1212R (under 60 lbs) and am thinking of adding a 1212L to my rig.

I have never played the Neo cabs but if I were you I would try one. Good Luck

5. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    the GK MB extension cab weighs next to nothing. but it colours the sound a fair bit. which depending on the music could sound nice, though. 2-4 of them should provide decent volume. if weight or the absence thereof is the priority, try these out. they cost ~300, and should be the lightest cabs out there.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The WT550 is a good choice, esp if you need two cabs.
    Two Aggie 112's would work.
    A Schroeder 1210 neo would be a good choice.
    Reverend semi hollowbodies are nice, pretty light.
    The Lakland Skyline hollowbody is nice.
    Warmoth makes semi hollow "chambered P and J bodies that you could setup however you like.

G'luck Ron, and I hope you stay well...

7. I don't know much about these things, as I have never used them, but I remember reading about them a few years back in Bass Player. IIRC, they thought they sounded good, but were somewhat cautious about material that they were made from.

http://www.flitesound.com/home/default.asp

Perhaps someone here has used them?

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Flite: good stuff, if somewhat fragile compared to 14 ply plywood.
    Really lite tho, and if you treat your gear with respect, it shouldn't be an issue.

9. I always feel weird recommending gear I've never tried, but I will be ordering one of these soon, so I'll be able to comment on them authoritatively then.

Check out Dr Bass cabs. The Rx series is crazy light, and you can get neo speakers in them to make them even lighter. I believe and Rx112 with a neo 12" would weigh ~25 lbs. Pair that with an Rx210 neo that should weight ~37 lbs, and you have yourself an 800 watt 2 ohm stack for $550 + shipping.

Sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

PM if you want any more info

note: I am not affiliated with Dr Bass in any way or form, etc.

10. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    The solution for light rigs is pretty simple: MarkBass, end of the story.

11. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    25 lbs can be too much for an injured back.

i would risk nothing and go super-light.

GK stuff has good resale value anyway.

a super nice, super light option would be MB cabs with a markbass head.

12. The lightest GK cab weighs 39 lbs.

The lightest MarkBass cab weighs 33 pounds.

I don't know of anyone else that sells a cab lighter than 25 lbs.

13. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006

you are wrong. the microbass extension cab (112 MBX)
    weighs 12 lbs

it doesn't get any lighter.

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Another great option. I don't recall reading anything bad about MarkBass gear.

15. Oh, my bad. I forgot about the Microbass stuff.

However - the microbass 12" cab that you are referring to only takes 100 watts at 8 ohms. Maybe if he bought 4 of them for a 400w 2 ohm stack, but even then, he's not just going to carry one per trip.

16. Flite was my first thought, also.

Isn't this brand the absolute lightest weight commercial cab available?

Another thought is sacrificing bottom end in favor of tiny cabs. The Eminence B102 (whizzer cone) operates in a tiny 0.59 cubic feet. Made from 3/8" baltic birch, and rear ported, I calculate the box about 20 pounds without hardware. Add a few pounds for jacks, grille, covering, etc. Size is 12.5" cube.

Emphasis: has no bottom.

17. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    i tink two will get quite loud if you don't expect earth shaking lows.

4 will do almost any job.

i made this proposal because of the light, light weight. he may rather like to do the way from his car twice if his back is in no danger then.

the microbass cabs could be carried by my grandma.

so if health matters the most, these cabs could be the ticket.

18. I don't know about equipment, it sounds like you are used to having a wall of sound, and that just may not be possible anymore.

As far as basses go, I play a Zon Sonus (www.zonguitars.com). It is the lightest, best sounding and easiest to play bass I have every laid hands on. It makes a huge difference in how my back feels at the end of a long night.

19. I understand the weight thing. I have knees that should be on a professional baseball player (catcher). I need help with what I am using, generally up stairs (if I have to go there).

If you like the Eden sound then stay with it. I am using the 2x10XST with the Metro. The Metro is on wheels and I get one of the guys to tote up the xst cab. 2x10 goes on the bottom and the Metro on top. Outside of Medium large (300 people) and larger venues this setup seems to bang the room. I play on the Yamaha TRB5, which is not light, and the xst cab handles the low b just fine.

I haven't heard any of the Neo speakers yet, but if they come close to the sound that you like...make the move. What ever keeps you playing and loving life is what you should be doing. If you have to hire a roadie (high school student for food kind of thing) to lug gear at the beginning or end of the show then do that. If you have to get a hand-truck (dollie) to get stuff there...do that. What ever it is step forward with determination and do it.

Hey you know what... you get to go try out all kinds of new gear. Drool on some and see if they give it to you for free:hyper:

Good luck.

20. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Another good choice:
    LDS custom 2x8 or 3x8, with neo drivers.
    Small, light, deadly.
    LDS does some very fine work, and can really build whatever you want to spec out if you have other ideas. Maybe a neo 1-12, 1-8 1-horn kinda thing. That would cover a lot of sonic ground in a compact light package.