Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need advice! I love my EBS pedals, but...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Basschair, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I've got a MultiComp, and love it. It couples very well with the thumb b/o.

I've got the older OctaBass, and loved it for the five minutes that it worked (that's what I get for buying used).

I've seen the all-in-one versus multiple pedals debate, and am still wondering...

I'd like an octaving pedal that's really good, and perhaps has some other functions as well, so that I can mess around with the sound a bit. What pedals/boxes fit this bill? Should I just go with another OctaBass and leave it at that?

BTW: is there an octaving pedal that will automatically put out the lower octave when playing higher notes and the upper octave when playing lower notes without having to hit the switch on it? Just wondering...

thanks!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Doesn't sound like something that can be done without a midi pickup and effect.

Frankly, I find the Octabass to be one of the best if not THE best octaver out there. What's wrong with your unit? I assume it's the grey one?

3. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Yeah, the black battery lead came off the board, and the only way to properly solder it back on is to take out the board, which is near impossible for my limited expertise. I've unscrewed everything, but it's set in and appears to be meant to stay in the shell once put in.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I am sure the negative lead could be traced down the boad to a place that you could solder it on. It might even be able to ground to the case. This might nopt be ideal, but it could work if it was wired for a negative ground as most pedals are. If you aren't too comfortable with it, I could off you my assistance. PM me if you would like.

5. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

How could I tell if it is?

6. Normally the negative battery lead is used in the power switching (via the DC and input sockets) so soldering it anywhere except for where it's supposed to be (like direct to the chassis) could compromise that function. This could mean that the effect would not turn off when the input cable is removed - so the battery would have to be removed to stop it from going flat all the time. However, it would work which is a step in the right direction.

All current EBS pedals are "negative ground" so one would have to assume that the older grey series are too. If it works with a standard boss style power adapter then it almost certainly is.

Tpylons, seems you're familiar with the grey series. I've heard they're a bastard to disassemble is that the case? I've only ever worked on the black label ones.

7. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

I can answer that one for you: YES. In order to get the board out, after unscrewing the jacks, knobs, etc., I'd have to simultaneously push in the power jack, flex the shell so that it buldges widthwise, and pull out the guts, and I can't tell if there's any other attachment to the shell, so forcing it could inadvertantly bust the whole thing. I am a novice at working on pedals like this, but that's how it appears.

8. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Akai Unibass
    Rastop Bass Super Divider

I'm sure there are others you could try out..

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Couldn't tell ya honestly, never put an EBS under the knife (or iron)

But from what I hear, very much a pain in the rump.