1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Advice: I oiled my unfinished maple fingerboard...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Disco_Gee, Sep 17, 2004.

1. A couple of days ago I cleaned the maple neck and fingerboard on my Stingray 4 with real fine steel wool because it was really dirty. I then used some Lemon oil. Not a problem. While the strings were off and everything, I decided to apply a small amount of fingerboard oil that I had purchased - it's good qaulity stuff and the only specifcally designed fingerboard oil that is available in my area. I made sure not to apply too much oil.

Here is the thing...my fingerbaord is clean as a whistle now, but when I play, sometimes my fingers make a squeaking sound if they rub against the FB, like when i bend notes. It's the kind of squeak you only get from rubbing clean wood - if that makes sense? Is this normal? If so, how long will the squeakiness be there? If it's not normal, how do I correct it? Should I just rub the FB down with a bit of fine steel wool again?

(and yes I searched for answers to this already, came up with nothing helpful)

2. Hmm... too, too clean! ;) Nah, I think it just need some time to get dirty again. I don't think it's something that'll plague you for very long, but then again I've never seen such an odd case.