Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Advice: I oiled my unfinished maple fingerboard...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Disco_Gee, Sep 17, 2004.

1. A couple of days ago I cleaned the maple neck and fingerboard on my Stingray 4 with real fine steel wool because it was really dirty. I then used some Lemon oil. Not a problem. While the strings were off and everything, I decided to apply a small amount of fingerboard oil that I had purchased - it's good qaulity stuff and the only specifcally designed fingerboard oil that is available in my area. I made sure not to apply too much oil.

Here is the thing...my fingerbaord is clean as a whistle now, but when I play, sometimes my fingers make a squeaking sound if they rub against the FB, like when i bend notes. It's the kind of squeak you only get from rubbing clean wood - if that makes sense? Is this normal? If so, how long will the squeakiness be there? If it's not normal, how do I correct it? Should I just rub the FB down with a bit of fine steel wool again?

(and yes I searched for answers to this already, came up with nothing helpful)

2. Hmm... too, too clean! ;) Nah, I think it just need some time to get dirty again. I don't think it's something that'll plague you for very long, but then again I've never seen such an odd case.