Need advice: Juzek

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SamAdams, May 11, 2002.

1. SamAdams

May 11, 2002
    Midwewst US
    I've found a Juzek bass and need a little bit of advice before I spend the cash. The bass appears to be an older Juzek with a solid top.  I couldn't find a model number or any more info on the bass besides the label inside (there wasn't much info on the label either.) Anyone know how to date or place a value on a Juzek bass? There are several repaired cracks on the top of the bass.  Two of them start from the bottom and stretch about 3/4 the way to the bridge.  They appear to be solid but I am still worried about them.  The wood on either side ofthe crack seems to be higher or lower, as if it needed to be evened out.
    The seller is asking $2200 and is not flexible. As is, I think the bass sounded great. A little on the bright side but nice. Definately needed new strings and a setup.
    In case you're curious, this would be my first real bass.  I currentlyplay an old Roth fiberglass bass and am looking for a nicer tone.

2. WOW... Actual helpful advice with no sharp edges. Maybe I'll become a supporting member.
  3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    If in fact this is an all wood bass-buy it! Or I will! The only factor that would make this not a steal is if the neck were cracked in a bad place. Dating a Juzek is difficult. A trained eye can usually come within a decade but I know of no way to say the actual year. As far as value, a very good sounding Juzek set up well can bring 5-9k in NY.

C'mon Goodfriend, a mere 20 bucks buys a clear conscience.
  4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    If it has a Juzek label, it will either read "Violinmaker in Prague" or "Violinmaker Formerly in Prague". The former is pre-WW2, the latter is post WW2. Of higher value are the models labeled "Master Art Copy", which were more handmade of better woods.
  5. Don P

Don P

Jun 2, 2001
    Mine is signed "John Juzek" violinmaker in Prague " Some are not so great but the name brings value too.