1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need advice: Juzek

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SamAdams, May 11, 2002.

1. SamAdams

SamAdams

May 11, 2002
    Midwewst US
    I've found a Juzek bass and need a little bit of advice before I spend the cash. The bass appears to be an older Juzek with a solid top.  I couldn't find a model number or any more info on the bass besides the label inside (there wasn't much info on the label either.) Anyone know how to date or place a value on a Juzek bass? There are several repaired cracks on the top of the bass.  Two of them start from the bottom and stretch about 3/4 the way to the bridge.  They appear to be solid but I am still worried about them.  The wood on either side ofthe crack seems to be higher or lower, as if it needed to be evened out.
    The seller is asking $2200 and is not flexible. As is, I think the bass sounded great. A little on the bright side but nice. Definately needed new strings and a setup.
    In case you're curious, this would be my first real bass.  I currentlyplay an old Roth fiberglass bass and am looking for a nicer tone.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. WOW... Actual helpful advice with no sharp edges. Maybe I'll become a supporting member.

3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    If in fact this is an all wood bass-buy it! Or I will! The only factor that would make this not a steal is if the neck were cracked in a bad place. Dating a Juzek is difficult. A trained eye can usually come within a decade but I know of no way to say the actual year. As far as value, a very good sounding Juzek set up well can bring 5-9k in NY.

C'mon Goodfriend, a mere 20 bucks buys a clear conscience.

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    If it has a Juzek label, it will either read "Violinmaker in Prague" or "Violinmaker Formerly in Prague". The former is pre-WW2, the latter is post WW2. Of higher value are the models labeled "Master Art Copy", which were more handmade of better woods.

5. Don P

Don P

Jun 2, 2001
    Mine is signed "John Juzek" violinmaker in Prague " Some are not so great but the name brings value too.