Need advice, kinda urgent

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Nov 11, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Ok, so im set to go get my new rig tomorrow, markbass S450 through a EA CXL 112, but now im kinda worried. I want to know if these will hold up in a band situation, but i dont mean volume, i mean tone. I fear that this setup is more meant for things like jazz, which isnt what i play. I play hard rock, and so i need a rig that will give a good tone for it. I want to know if this setup could do it, and if not, what could.

This thread may just be a reassurance thread, im not sure yet. I know the final decision is to be made tomorrow, but i would like some last minute advice. Good rock rig? And if not, what is?
  2. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to dial in a rock tone with that rig. At that level of equipment you should find enough versatility assuming that your fingers are capable of a rock tone.

I would sooner be concerned with spearker cone area and moving enough air. Another cab down the line could take care of that for you though.
  3. Third, that...

I guess you'll find out tomorrow, but in the meantime, consider yourself "reassured". I think you'll be fine; new gear's always fun! :D Good luck!
  4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    hooray! you all said what i wanted you to say.

Ill post a pic hopefully tomorrow, or this weekend anyways, and while im at it get a pick up of my G&L while im at it

If i figure out how my computer works then ill put up some soundclips at some point as well
  5. The CXL112 is completely transparent and you should be able to dial-in something with it. It won't sound good when you first try it though... guaranteed! But keep turning those knobs and something will happen.

+1 on the cone area.

- Andrew
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    ANY 1x12 won't be sufficient if your band is loud. Great gear, but you'll most certainly need to add another cab for a loud rock band.
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    ^^^ This would pretty much be my take too.
  8. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Right, 1x12 is not enough for loud rock. Look into to a bigger cab or a second cab if portability/weight is an issue.

If you will always have big PA support and can stay near the 1x12 (preferably with it pointed at your head), you can get by. I did this for 2 years w/ the GK 200MB 12" combo and it was great to load in and out fast, but then I realized I had to stick around to help load in and out the big pa anyway -- I figured what's another big cab at that point so I might as well be happy w/ my stage level. I went straight to a Sunn tube head w/ a 2x12 cab, in the same loud rock band, and was instantly happier.