Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need advice: modding a '62RI for easier truss nut access

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ostinato, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Any ideas? I ordered one of those spoke wheel truss nuts from Stewmac but it was the wrong diameter (too small). Does routing a channel in the body work? Are there special 90 degree screw drivers out there?

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Sure - available at most tools suppliers in slot, Philips and Robertson types.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I did it on my 70s P using a router and a 3/8" straight bit. The nut I have uses an allen key and I needed room to access it.

I made up a plywood jig to guide the router and used double stick tape to hold it in place while I routed it out. You have to be careful. You only get one chance to do it right.

It left a light coloured cavity which I disguised with some dark stain to more closely match the tortois pickguard.

The actusl routing only took seconds. I did two passes at different depths to avoid chipping the ash body. Making the jig and testing it out on scrap took about an hour.

It's an easy job it you have a router and know how to operate it.