Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need advice on 410 cabinets. Getting rid of Carvin for ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dustamaphone, Apr 7, 2002.

1. dustamaphone

dustamaphone

Feb 24, 2002
    USA, MN
    I recently got a Carvin stack. 118, 410, R1000w head. I ran into some problems from the start with the 410. It arrived with only 2 of the 10's hooked up. Fixed that problem. Now the tweeter is buzzing a little at higher volumes. Not insane volume but moderate. I haven't been abusing it is what I'm saying. Carvin is sending me a new crossover and horn diaphram. Besides these problems, when it was working I wasn't crazy about the sound from the 410. It sounded a little boxy? What does that mean you ask. It didn't seem to reproduce the sound of my instrument very well. When I slapped it just kinda fell short. The high end is there but it doesn't sound musical. Fingerstyle sounded better. I also want somthing that has better lows so I don't have to cart the 118 around all the time. I love the head and the 118 is great. So I would like to get a used Eden. I think. What do you guys think?

2. Ibanezist

Ibanezist

Mar 24, 2002
  3. I would personally say to get either Aguilar cabs or Eden Cabs. Personally i went with the Aguilar GS410, but you definately can't go wrong with a 410XLT or 410XST. If it weren't for the high cost or one, i probably would have gone with the XST, or at least, i really would have considered it a lot more.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The problem withthe carvins is the box tunning. I have built bass cabs with carvin speakers, and i have found that they can sound good if the box is made to the correct dimensions. they tune theirs to around 60 hz, while ampeg eden and hartke tune closer to the 30 hz range. result lower frequency, and much stronger bass. i also suggest eden, or for less nemesis. i got a nemmesis 2-10 combo and am very pleased with it.

Nick