Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need advice on 5-strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Artist, Jan 9, 2002.

1. I'm looking for a good quallity and affordable 5-String Bass. Can any1 recommend one?:confused:
    There are just so darn many, I don't know where to start.

Thanx
    SCODI

2. heres a few mid priced 5's that generally get a mention, no doubt some will add others! :)

MTD Kingston or Heir
    Ibanez BTB
    Bass Collection 335
    Yamaha TRB, RBX or BB

all these are great basses for the money (they all range from about $400-$600)
    if your looking to spend less, don't bother, cos the B string on cheap 5's is 99% of the time a heap of crap.

i prefer a high c on my 5's, but we won't go into that now :)

hope this helps
    *Si*

3. the B-string on the BTB is nice..
    the B-string on the BBG5a is even tighter :D

4. The BTB is xactly the one I had in mind.
    Havn't tried it out yet though, but it's one nice bass! :cool: (Ibanez Rulez!) :cool:
    AllodoX, I saw U had one in one of your posts, how does it "feel", how does it play?

Thanx 4 the advice so far!!!

5. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    hey man-

depending on how much money you are willing to spend, i would second the reccomendations for the BTB, MTD kingston/heir, and the yamahas. i play an ibanez ATK 5, and a carvin LB75. i love them both, and suggest you consider them as well. you cant get ATK's new in the US, but used they are fairly inexpensive. i would liken it to a MM Stingray as far as sound and appearance go. has a very punchy and growly tone. the carvins on the other hand (IMO) tend to "sing" more. you can get them in your price range, and they are very solidly built and play like a dream.

just because i can...

[​IMG]

6. I just bought a Yamaha BBG5 and it is tremendous! I haven't put it down since I got it. I heard about some lower priced 5 strings having a crappy B string, but with my Yamaha, that is not the case at all. This is probably one of the best investsments I've made in a long while.

7. SRSiegel, the finish on that ATK is rad!

8. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I heartily recommend the MTD Kingston. And the Ibanez BTB-405 is on sale here . They're both 35" scale basses which helps the low B.

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    The choices are too great to cover. Can you have the catagory a bit narrower? What's your highest price?

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I think it's $0.84USD = 1Euro
    That's about $425 USD?
    Look at the Jay Turser MM copies, DeArmond, and Cort.