Need Advice on a Cheap Small Amp for College Dorm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Well, as you may have guessed it, i need a bit of help. I am going to college next year and i would like to have an amp in my dorm room. I asked this a long time ago, but i still looking for an amp back then for gigs too, and so i was looking back then for responses like some form of 410 or what not. Anyways, so now i'm looking in the world of combos. What is cheap and good and is good for a college dorm as well?
  2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ok my advice could mean absolutely nothing, but ill give it anyways. I say go for the nemesis 4-10 combo. nemesis is a branch of eden wich is less expensive, but still sounds good. i have the 2-10 and its great. the reason i say my advice could mean nohing is that, well, lets just say i think 10's suck! That is of course all except for nemesis. i think those are great. they also have a 2-12 setup that might suffice.

3. A 410 is a bit larger than i wanted to go with. You have to realize that i just bought an Aguilar DB750 and Aguilar GS410 cab. I just need something small for a college dorm room. like something that's just a 10" combo, or 12" combo, or i'll humor a good 210 combo if it's cheap and sounds good.
  4. Hey, if you want to buy my WT-300, I'd be glad to sell it to you :D It pushes my GS-410 quite nicely.

Seriously, though, I've found that the all-Eden WT-300/CXM-110 setup has worked out very nicely for me. It cost me a total of $800 (used gear is your friend).
  5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I used my SWR WM 12 in my dorm room. I love that amp! The WM 12 sounds really good at all volume levels and it doesn't color the natural sound of my bass. The size of the amp is very convienient for a dorm, too (UMass dorms are small.)
  6. If you already have a head and cab for gigs, and you're looking for cheap, then why not get a really small practice amp?

I picked up a Peavey Microbass (20 or 30 watts, 1x8" I think) for this kind of low-volume practice. If I set the gain above 10 or 11 o'clock I get complaints from the neighbors.

In my circumstance, something like a 200-watt 1x10" or 1x12" would be serious overkill.
  7. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
  8. That's basically what i was asking for.
  9. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I like the Fender Bassman 25. It's compact, loud for a small amp, and handles low frequencies pretty well. I bought mine for under $300 new. You might get it under $200 used.
  10. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Im sorta after the same thing. So im only posting this to get subscribed. :D cheers!
  11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I have a Peavey Minx 110 that was my first amp. It sounds good, is built like a tank, and is loud enough to play with an acoustic guitar or piano. It hasn't let me down in over 6 years.
  12. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    The only amp I have is an Eden Nemesis 2x10" combo and it fits fine in my dorm room and is loud enough to practice with my band with. I'm thinking of getting a 15" extension cab for gigging though...

13. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    a nice head/speaker setup is nice, but in a dorm room situation, unless you're in a single, i'd go with a headphones setup. Fodera and Sadowsky used to make a nice headphones only practice box you can find used. These guys know what its like to live in NY and have cranky neighbors.

in my place, i cant afford to fire up my rig, but i just run the headphones out on my iAMP or WT400, and it does the trick for me. no buggin' the neighbors or my roommates.
  14. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I'd go for either an SWR WM 15 (great sound), an Ampeg B-50R (I've played the 100R and it rocks), or possibly even one of the Carvin combos. The Ampegs are priced really well, so that would definitely be my first choice.

Hope that helps.
  15. IMO, the problem with a practice amp is that they are so limited. I would recommend spending a little more and getting a small combo that you could also use for small gigs, jams and use as a monitor if you're going thru a board.

I have a SWR WM 12 that does just fine and is very portable. The ultimate (IMO) is a Baby Blue combo - great sound. I had one and sold it. Definately the best small combo I have owned.

16. geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice to not look into a quality headphone amp. I purchased a raven labs unit a while back and absolutely love it. Sounds so good that I sometimes use it as a preamp in my live rig. I've heard that the fodera unit is impressive as well, though it doesn't seem to be as versatile or affordable.
  17. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Hey man. I have 2 basses, my ampeg bxt-410 hl, and my nemesis NC210 combo amp up here. The room isn't huge, but it fits. just bring up all your gear :).
  18. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i keep my stage setup in my dorm room.... but i am an idiot.

im suprised embellisher hasnt come through on this one yet! i would (as im sure he will) highly reccomend you look at the fender bassman 25 combo. that thing sounds way bigger than it is, and is pretty affordable. its defenilty a practice amp, but i have heard many accounts of using it as a personal monitor for shows and going through it to the PA. its 25 watts, and i believe it has a single 10" in it.

a guy i know up on north campus (im at the University of Michigan) had one in his room. i heard this nice, big round sound coming through the door. popped my head in, and tried to find the rig, only to find a little bassman combo on the window ledge.

personally, i keep my RC210+118 stack in the room, no problem at all. You could certainly keep your aguilar rig in there, and just keep the volume down. but make sure youve got casters or a handcart for the cab if you go that route.

next year i intend on having a 610 cab in my room, with the 600 watt head. like i said, im an idiot though.
  19. For dorm room use, I also believe a headphone amp would be the way to go, given that you've got a full-size rig for performance. I have the Korg Toneworks Bass Pandora PX3B and love it. I got it for $189.99 from Musician's Friend. With the 9-volt AC adapter and the AKG headphones I also got from MF, this unit about the size of a thick wallet has proven to be a fantastic practice amp. I like the various drum patterns whose tempo can be selected, the bass-cancelling function that you can apply to a piped-in CD, and the fact that the integral tuner tracks well the low-B on my six-string. There is no footswitch for selecting the 39 different effects, but I use the unit only for practice, so that hasn't been a problem. For noise-free practicing in a dorm room, I think you'd like this small headphone amp.

20. Thanks for all of your advice so far, keep em coming. The reason that i don't want to bring the aguilar to my dorm room is because i don't want to risk the head or cab getting stolen. Sure i could have everything insured, but i'll still have to pay a $200 deductable, so i'd like to just stear clear of having my big rig stolen.