1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need advice on a good decent priced combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chepo06, May 17, 2011.

1. chepo06

chepo06

Mar 5, 2009
    currently running a custom red star audio 4-10 cab and a custom 2-15 cab either paired together run with a qsc 2450 and tech 21 sans amp bass driver di for large venues or smaller gigs ill seperate them and use my back up hartke lh1000.
    play using a usa spector 5 string and warwick 6 string corvette
    problem is i am my own roadie and getting tired of luggin all this stuff around.

lookin for a good portable combo amp under $700. for small to medium gigs just about what we have been playing lately.
    we do tx country/ southern rock.

chep

2. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Dec 12, 2010
    London
    Not sure where you're based and therefore how widely available they might be, but Laney have several 1x15 combos to their name at various wattages and generally at fairly low prices. It may not be the most refined tone you've heard, but they're usually more than loud enough and built like tanks.

3. I have just what you are looking for in the classifieds. A MarkBass CMD 102P, 300 watt 2x10 combo that goes to 500 watts when you add your choice of 8 ohm extension cab. Giving it away @ $650 shipped. Did I mention light weight, it's an easy one hander.

4. My favorite combos are the SWR (Super) Redhead and Peavey BAM. Both can be found used in your price range, I'd figure.

5. philter25

philter25

Mar 26, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    Check out the GK MB212. 700 bucks brand new, and you can usually find a GC or MF coupon to take some cash off. 10% or 15% coupons or $75 bucks off arent that hard to find if you dont mind waiting a month for one to pop up. 500 watts out of a 212 setup. 37 lbs.

I ran a GK MB210 for almost a year as my practice amp / small gig amp with the sansamp PBDDI in front and it sounded great. If you are controlling you tone with the sansamp, you just need a cab that can sound tonally flat.

Lightweight, portable, and loud. They have a scooped sound to them with the EQ knobs all set at 12, but dial back the bass, and add in a little mids and you can get it to sound tonally flat. Then use the sansamp for your tone.

Go to your local store and play through one and see if it meets your tone goals.

6. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Newark,De.
    Just bought a new Carvin BXR 515 N. Great lightweight combo with 500 watts of power through a neo 15". Amp has plenty of power to run a 4X10 extension,or another 1X15. Since I buy alot of gear from Carvin,they shipped it for free. $499.00 shipped with a 1 year warranty.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  8. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    How about just get a small cab and use the LH1000?

IME, good sounding combo are not the easiest to move around either.
    AND, the good sounding ones are are usually expensive too.