Need advice on a multi effect board.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DangYankee, Feb 15, 2018.

1. DangYankee

DangYankee

Jul 11, 2017
    East Texas
    I currently have about $700 in pedals sitting on my pedal board. I am trying to find a multi effect board that would effectively replace my 7 pedals and need some help.

Current Chain: Pitchfork (Octave Down)>DOD250 (Clean Overdrive)> Russian Muff (Moderate to Dirty Fuzz)> VP. JR. Volume Pedal (For volume swells with the Caverns)> Keeley Caverns (Mostly for subtle echo delays) > Keely Bassist Compressor (Very transparent compression)> Polytune.

I have been looking at the Fly Rig, the ME-50B and the Valeton Dapper, but they all seem to be missing essential ingredients required for me to commit to the swap.

The Fly Rig: I really like the idea of this board, i like tech 21 and really like that they packed their full analog bass driver into this board. Unfortunatly, it has the least versitility to me because it also lacks a delay and the octave is supposed to be terrible. This will require me to hold onto both the $150 pitchfork and the $150 caverns.

The ME-50B: This seems to have everything i need in one package. It would be a no brainier if it wasn't for the terrible octave function. According to TB'ers, the octave on this thing is unusable, which means i will have a wasted spot on the board and i wont be able to offload the $150 pitchfork. Also, You cant use the reverb and delay at the same time!

The Dapper: Seems to be just mediocre all around, octave is acceptable, comp is alright, and the overdrive/distortion is pretty good. I dont have a use for the chorus or the envelope filter. This will not replace the caverns so as with the me-50B i will be holding on to a $150 pedal.

Are there any other all in one boxes that i should be looking at? Mabye a guitar specific one that works well on bass? I have no interest in the Zoom boxes because I am very picky about my drive pedals and they seem to be the worst part of the zoom pedals.

Currently the me-50B seems like the most useful, but i dont know.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  2. Seanbassplayer

Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016
    Line 6 Helix HX been getting allot of hype and read tracking on octave is really good. There also may be a cave reverb or a reverb you like in it. Just thought I'd mention it but is pricey as well. Cheers!

gumtown likes this.
  3. DangYankee

DangYankee

Jul 11, 2017
    East Texas
    Holy crap that thing is nice!

Doesn't make much sense to replace a $700 board for a $1400 one though... but its sure tempting!

4. DangYankee

DangYankee

Jul 11, 2017
    East Texas
  5. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Helix is $1500. Helix LT is $1000. HX Effects is $600.

Note that this is the price for new. Used you can save a bit. Coupons and "call and save" type things can save you a significant chunk off that. (Never buy new without either a coupon or calling / online chatting and asking for a deal! You can very often get a good chunk taken off the price.)

Slater likes this.
  6. ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Mine is being delivered today. (Although it was shipped with signature required so I might not actually get it today because I won't be home to sign.)

It's kinda like a half Helix. Same (great) effects as the main unit. No amps or cabs (but does allow IR loading). Fewer IO jacks. Getting great reviews so from the few here who have one. There's a big thread going on it right now.

HX Effects + expression pedal would, I'm pretty sure, be a satisfactory solution for you. It wouldn't be a big cost saver, but it might simplify things and expand your options.

Zon master likes this.
  7. ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Line 6 HX Effects

FWIW, I think the B3n is pretty great too, drives included. HX definitely "better" (imo, of course), but also significantly more expensive.

LowActionHero likes this.
  8. DangYankee

DangYankee

Jul 11, 2017
    East Texas
    How are the dirt effects on this thing? I am seriously considering the HX Effects, especially at that price point. If it can get good dirt emulation, It would replace my entire board. I really like Muffs, Darkglass and Klon like dirt pedals.

How would you compare it to a pod 500?

9. ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    So...the Line 6 people will tell you they modeled it precisely. The analog sticklers will tell you they can tell the difference. What I say is they absolutely got the general sound right, and while I would be mildly interested in hearing a side by side comparison (I owned both Darkglass pedals and the Helix, but never at the same time), I'm confident they're close enough that I don't care about any differences you could theoretically nitpick about.

Long story short, I love the B7k Ultra model in the Helix.

Zon master and Seanbassplayer like this.
  10. DangYankee

DangYankee

Jul 11, 2017
    East Texas
    Sold. My board goes on Reverb tonight! Thanks man.

11. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Why are you replacing your board with a multi?

Plucky The Bassist and bassbrad like this.
  12. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Had both, the BFR and the Boss. Loved the idea of the BFR, but all of my basses clipped it with their active EQs. I loved the octave on the ME-50B, especially with the OD. If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the Boss. No questions.

13. DangYankee

DangYankee

Jul 11, 2017
    East Texas
    The ability to have infinite flexibility, endless effect options (especially with 3rd party patches) and because I am a Tech Nerd.

EmptyCell,
    Assuming all the people on TB are correct when they say this $600 box can do everything and more than my $700 in pedals are capable of. (Source for this being the current HX thread) Tell me why I shouldn't switch. Convince me.

Zon master likes this.
  14. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    As a guy who has been back and forth between individual pedals and multieffects units a few times, I can tell you the following tends to happen:
    - I don't need all these individual pieces, I can just get one unit that does all I want/need!
    - Look, this one has 467 different effects and a tuner and metronome and makes toast and is only 200 bucks!
    - Bye bye big expensive heavy board, hello convenience!
    {....some amount of time passes...}
    - Oooo that new fuzz from Buttnugget Effects looks killer...
    - Aw maaaan my multiFX is awesome except for this ONE effect type that I really want...
    - Well if I'm going to have the fuzz separate and the other special thing separate as it is, why do I even HAVE this all in one thing???
    - Bye bye jack of all trades but master of only a couple, helloooo individual endlessly-reconfigurable stompbox glory; oh how I've missed you!

ANNNND REPEAT.

15. As a lover and used of both single efx and multi efx I just state there is not an end all be all multi, at any price because there are some unique analog single effects that they will never capture of replicate. Examples ehx bassballs, Brassmaster, Foxx tone machine, Fuzzrocious BDPG, Aka UniBass just a few off the top of my mind. Otoh no single effect will ever offer as much as found in any multi efx even the cheapest delivers a lot of great sounds, combinations and a tuner too.

theunknowndude likes this.
  16. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    There are only a few users here that actually have the HX in hand. There is no concrete evidence that these pedal needs are going to be pleased in the long term by the HX. It’s been available for only about a week. I bet it’s awesome, but wouldn’t go selling your whole board on a whim.

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  17. DangYankee

DangYankee

Jul 11, 2017
    East Texas
    You clearly underestimate my impetuous personality.

SpanishDave, Deak, tfer and 3 others like this.
  18. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Waiting for your add in the classifieds, I’m in the multi love cooling off, boutique pedal lust phase.

19. ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Heh. Give it a few weeks and I'll probably flip mine to buy a full Helix.

raphaeld likes this.
  20. Granted I’m a few generations out of touch but yeah. Even the “as pretty awesome as it is” aftershock couldn’t replicate pedals I already had so wasn’t happy... sure it’s got awesome gating and Synthy fuzz and good overdrive etc but couldn’t mimic my original Proco turbo rat, mastotron, cog mini 66 etc... that said i did look at the small line 6 new one whatever it’s called and did look pretty awesome... would it let me turn on all my 9 pedals though hmmm

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021