Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need advice on a new cab.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jiant., Aug 17, 2004.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Hello, I play in a melodic rock/ punk group, doing about 2-3 gigs a month or so, and planning on booking a small tour next summer. Right now I use a 4 Ohm 2x10 cab which has been fine for every gig we have done except one. (That one was in an auditorium with seating for 1000, and there were about 200 there) I'm wanting to get a new cab, or maybe 2, that would fill my needs for both practice and gigs. I would really like to go with somthing from either Ampeg or Mesa because I love the sound of both companies. I use the Behringer 300w head, and am not looking for anything to replace it right now. I was thinking about maybe getting a 4x10 or a 2x10 and a 15 so that i could just take one to practice and both to shows. Any advice is welcome. Thanks a lot. -Brad †

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Let me be the second to recommend Schroeder. Either the 21012 or the 410.

3. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I went to a few local places, and at one I found out that they come across Ampeg 4x10s(used) pretty often and they sell for about $400. All they had today that interested me were an Ampeg SVT 18 and a Mesa 1x15(had the looks of a road ready, with no case.). Both were priced at $399, and that seemed kind of steep to me. The other local place I went to had nothing of interest to me, and could only order a Yorkville 4x10 for $500. They did have an Epiphone Thunderbird w/ hsc for $360 though. Anyway, I think I'll hold out for an Ampeg 4x10 since I'd much rather buy from a local place than online.

4. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Be aware of Ampeg ...it gives that fat bottom sound, but it is slow. A 410 would probably do the job, but the highs really don't sound well on stage. I played twice on an Ampeg 410 as a backline on stage (and rehearse with the band with such a cab every week) but it comes more and more evident that Ampeg is not a very good choice, if you ask me. I owned Eden 210" as well, great cab..especially for funk.

Then I got a hold of a Bag End D10B-D (2.10" with tweeter, coaxial) and wondered why I ever had the guts to think that Eden sounded good. Using the Q10BX (the 4.10" version with coaxial tweeter...) now, I don't want anything else.

(well... a 2.12" Aguilar perhaps underneath. :smug: )

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I checked out your band's website, and I have a really good idea what your music probably sounds like (despite not hearing any of it).

I highly do NOT recommend an Ampeg SVT cab. Too slow, dude.... trust me. I'm a major advocate for the Ampeg BXT's I play through. They're not really hi-fi... but theyre response is better than the SVT cabs. There's also the Ampeg PRO410. I've heard nothing but great things about that, and have heard it live.

My suggestion?? An Ampeg BXT210 over a BXT115. I saw a picture of you playing outdoors. I just experimented with that... and your gonna want a 15" dude.

If wanna expand outside of Ampeg: Schroeder. Ampeg cabs are HEEAVY! I cant stand mine anymore. They're killing my back. AND I'M 17!!! Schroeder's will give you the full monte in one cab.

Another brand? Why... Avatar of course. :) Cheap... factory direct... great customer service (like Schroeder... and NOT like Ampeg).... and a ton of room to grow into. 300W will be nothing for you, probably within the next year.

Although Norma Jean and Switchfoot are on almost-opposite ends of the musical spectrum.... we're both part of the young, loud @$$ music scene. What do I plan for my future rig? One Schroeder to rule them all for gigs... probably the 410 bridged at 1400W (that I already possess). Also... Avatars to practice on in parallel mode.

The speaker companies that sell online are different than buying from a music store, definately. However, it can be different in a good way, as well. I emailed Jorg Schroeder with a huge question, and he wrote back within the hour. You're very safe doing business with these people.... and a Schroeder or Avatar will totally suit you well down the line, in your future power needs.

6. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    OK, thanks man, I've been checking out avatar and they look pretty good to me. It's still going to be a litte while before I actually purchase a cab, but when I do I'll let you all know which one I chose. Hopefully I can try a few out within the next couple weeks too. Thanks for checking out my band's website, and we don't have any songs up because we're waiting until we enter the studio to put stuff up. Everything up to now was done at home on Cakewalk..haha, you can imagine the sound quality of that.

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Imagine the sound quality? I'm doing demos on a Tascam 4-track. I plug my B2R into it, and it sounds great... but to record drums, I have like 2 mics around the set, and one in the kick-drum... and boy, does it sound like crap, no matter what I do.

So... I end up with a nice, clean bass tone and a not-so-good drum tone...... very frusterating, to say the least. :rolleyes:

Drum Mics? That'd be great!...... ya know.... if they were free :spit:

8. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Well, we actually have done a little better with our more recent stuff, mostly because now I actually have an amp. We eq'd both the bass and guitar through my guitarist's Digitech and my Behringer. The bass sounds pretty awesome, but the gutiar still sounds kind of bad. Our drummer does have a full set of drum mics, but we don't have a mixer yet to plug into when recording, so we just set up a condenser and picked up all the drums..it sounds good enough for these little demos. Soon we're gonna be going to a studio that's owned by a singing group the Youth Minister at my church is in. Really good equipment. It'll be fun.

9. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    I use older SWR's, One 4x10 and one 2x10. If I need to be loud on stage (with a good PA is not often) I stack them and use a stereo power amp and an ampeg 3pro preamp. I could not be happier about two issues with these cabs. First, they make the sound I am looking for, second, you can pick them up and to me that's way up on my list. I sold the best sounding cab I ever had, because it's a 2 man box.

Another thing. I play in a band that has it's own pa with big loud subs. I play wireless and will sit in the audience position while setting up to hear what they will hear. This has taught me to carry as little as I can get away with so in most gigs (there all local, regional) I play through a BA115 tilted back for my benefit and send my signal through a Sans amp bass DI, My next move down is to just carry the Di.

Mike

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Ah... gotta love the Sansamps :) I cant wait to replace my B2R with an RBI and enjoy the tone. :hyper: 'Tis a beautiful sound :cool: