Need Advice on Accugroove

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kjones, Jan 24, 2005.

1. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Ladies and Gents, I'd love to hear some advice from you. I play in, among other bands, a hard rock originals band whose songs have been compared to everything from Black Sabbath to Fuel. In my opinion, it certainly is in the harder rock vein, but is not nu-metal or dropped D kind of stuff. I play blues, jazz, and progressive type lines behind twin guitars, but I am certainly part of the rhythm section, not a Les Claypool or Vic type. I am using my Sadowsky PJ with a WWU.

Here's my problem. The venues we are playing vary from bar/small clubs to medium size clubs opening for regional acts. In September, we will be playing an outdoor gig. I only have the money to buy one Accugroove cab at this time. Should I get a Whappo Jr., forego the 15" of the Whappo, and just upgrade with a Whappo or extra Junior later on, or should I get an El Whappo to start up with, and deal with the extra weight (unnecessary at smaller gigs) and extra cost? I fully understand the option of using the FOH, but that isn't possible on many occasions.

Thanks very much for your input.
  2. I think going with the El Whappo first would be the better idea.

I have heard of this cab replacing a Mesa 4x10 and 1x15 easily.

So go for the full monty, and add on later if you still need to.
  3. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    I'd go for the Jr. and then ad a Tri110L or Tri112L - that way you've got both size gigs covered.
  4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Thanks, dude and Bryan, for the advice. Both reasonable suggestions (although, unfortunately, they differ). I'll keep pondering and I'd appreciate more chiming in as well.
  5. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Both are 800W cabs.

Both are 102dB SPL.

Jr's almost 20 lbs lighter.

Does Whappo sound 20 lbs. better?
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Excellent point.

IMHO and limited experience (I own a couple of Jr.s but have never heard an El Whappo) I think it comes down to whether you prefer the sound of a 12 or 15 more than anything else. I've never really liked 15s so I picked up a Jr. without bothering to check out the El Whappo, based on the above-cited specs. No regrets, no sir.

Give a single Jr. cab 800 honest watts and you will be truly amazed at what a single cab can do.

7. Being forced to make the same agonizing decision I bit the bullet and went the distance for the El Whappo. Mark swore me to secrecy, but the info is now up on the AccuGroove website. They've managed to shave a little weight off of some of the cabinets. Both the El Whappo and Whappo Jr. are about 5 pounds lighter than before, which puts El Whappo just under the 90lb mark. Mine is clearing customs in Buffalo right now.
  8. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    OH! thats what the secret was! yeah, I saw you mention it on another thread!!

I'm still agonising over going to try out Accu' stuff.. I haven't heard a single bad word about them. I wanna go for a TRI210L or maybe, If I can sell granny, a Whappo Jr.

Failing that, I can always get a pile of ACMEs for the same price over here.. Its a tuff call!!
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    To throw out yet another suggestion, I would recommend that you get the Jr. now. It is a very full sounding cab, and will handle an outdoor gig with ease. In fact, my Accugrooves are my preferred "outdoor rig." Then, as finances allow, I would add a Tri 210L later. These two cabs pair up wonderfully. I have not tried the Tri 112, but I do own a Tri 110, and while it sounds good with the Jr., they don't stack real well, whereas the Tri 210L looks killer atop the Jr. (or El Whappo).

One point to consider, though, is that if you plan on sticking with your WWU (and why wouldn't you!), you may want to have Mark hook you up with the Accuswitch on whichever cab you get. That way, if you add a second Accugroove cab later, you can still configure a 4 ohm load for your WWU. The "standard" Whappo, Jr. and El Whappo are 4 ohm cabs, so without the Accuswitch, adding a second cab would not be an option with your Walter Woods.

BTW, congratulations on what sounds like some killer gigs!
  10. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Guys, you are being very helpful, which I greatly appreciate. Oddio, I'm afraid your information just makes this decision all the harder! Tom, your comments are very well taken, but I believe they just highlight my ignorance. I was under the impression that ALL Accugrooves came with the switch. If that is not the case, I will certainly have to get it, because I understand that I can't go below 4 ohms.

Tom, thanks for your best wishes. We're just happy that a band playing originals, and that has a couple members tiptoeing into middle age gets listened to anywhere!
  11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Looking at the webpage, this may now be the case. I know that I bought my Jr. right about the time that the Accuswitch was announced and it does not have it. But if you buy a new one, it should have the switch. Just make sure that you're not buying a cab that has been in dealer inventory for a while and perhaps does not have it.

My original band doesn't play out much anymore due to us being spread all across the state of Ohio, but I, too, am very happy when I hear of an original band doing well! Especially those who are bordering on that "middle age" mark! ;)
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've been happy gigging with a Jr. by itself in a variety of rooms and, believe it or not, a drummer in one of my bands actually complains that it has TOO MUCH bottom! I can imagine what the El Whappo would do for me! :eek:
  13. I'm sincerely sorry about that! I'll be the guy with the crick in my back from carrying that extra 20lbs of weight. Seriously, I think that you will be more than satified either way. PS - the Accuswitch is standard now on the models in question.

Good luck with your choice!
  14. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Whoa! I *thought* one of my Jr. cabs was heavier than the other... and yep, it's the older of the two!
  15. Now for the million-dollar question... do they sound identical???
  16. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I haven't noticed any difference in sound. :bassist:
  17. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Can't tell you guys how much I appreciate the suggestions and commentary. Thanks.
  18. John Marat

John Marat Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have to put in another vote for going with the el whappo. I have one of the new lighter versions and it is the greatest cab I have ever had. I have not had any problem moving it around either!!!!
  19. Excellent!!!! My El Whappo is leaving Toronto tomorrow and will arrive on Friday morning... just in time for a very important gig on Saturday. I can hardly wait!
  20. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I haven't had the good fortune of hearing any of the AGrooves, but I've been attentively following the reviews and comments that they get here on TB. Just thought I'd throw in my two grains of salt since I haven't seen anyone make this suggestion.

So far I tend to prefer 10" drivers for their clear punchiness.

If you can afford two Tri 210, that would be a very portable and potent system.

Otherwise, I'd vote for the Whappo Jr. with the possibility of adding the Tri 210 later if the WJ either doesn't cover as much as you need or you want something more portable for smaller gigs.