1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Advice on Amp Purchase while not able to demo!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paulthewallt, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Paulthewallt

Paulthewallt

Mar 22, 2020
    Hello All;
    Quick question. I need some advice. I am just purchasing the Geddy Lee Fender Jazz bass and I need a new amp. Due to self isolating etc, I'm not able to fully demo a new amp. Here's what I'm using it for and I'd like some recommendations please:
    Ideally, I just like to jam in my home/basement and play along to Rush/Yes/Duran Duran, etc and I'd like an amp with a funky mid range-doesn't have to have huge bottom end. I would like to have some decent volume without overtaxing it but primarily a really good tone. Budget is not that important. Any suggestions for an all in one or am I better to look at separate head and cabinet. Size is important. Smaller the better.
    Suggestions??? What would you buy and why?

2. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    First, welcome to TalkBass!
    If I were in your spot right now, I’d do a Sansamp YYZ pedal in front of a Fender Rumble (at least the 100 as it has an effects loop).

If you expect to be playing as part of a band in the future, I’d do the YYZ in front of a Quilter Bass Block, probably the 802, as it also has an effects loop, with cab(s) to taste.

You’ll get a number of other recommendations, most will be equally viable, but this is what I would do.

Good luck with the search!

Paulthewallt likes this.
  3. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
  4. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Markbass CMD101
    10" spkr
    60 watts
    25 lbs

5. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    The Traynor SB115 will be your best friend.
    Lightweight with great power that even if pushed will not fart out.
    Great for solo playing or even if by chance you get to play with some people, has enough power to do so.
    1x15 200 watt speaker at 31lbs.
    Ability to turn on/off tweeter as well.

6. Gibson Victory

Gibson Victory Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2019
    As always my standard Ampeg sales pitch goes out here. You can look at the owners manuals (PDF) online as far as features and controls are concerned. Probably some YouTube, or other demos are available as well. Certainly worth a look at least. Also check out the Combo Club thread here on TB. Those folks over there have it together, and might also be able to help you out. Best of Luck!

Paulthewallt likes this.
  7. For me... I’d buy the Magellan 350 Combo - Genzler Amplification Genzler Magellan 350 Combo. It is a professional level small combo. You did say price is not important. At a lower price range, the Fender Rumbles are great as are the EBS studio series.

Paulthewallt likes this.
  8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    GK combos.

Paulthewallt likes this.