1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need advice on amp setup for a noobie.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by burf-a-derf, Feb 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. burf-a-derf

burf-a-derf

Feb 6, 2016
    I'm originally a drummer. Picked up bass 09/15. Band I play with sounds like the War on Drugs. I play on a Fender Precision Bass Mexican. With EMG P active pickups. I use a custom fuzz pedal a friend made but used a bass muff deluxe before. I like to play high treble and play with a pick. I am buying a sonic guitar cab 4x12 for $50. The head unit I found is a Kustom DE-300 HD with the tube preamp or a Peavey Mark viii. I don't know terms well so please forgive me. I want to replace the speakers but I don't where to start. I like how the bassist from Death From Above 1979 uses a mix of PA and bass speakers. Please fill me with your knowledge. Thank you.

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Welcome to Basslandia!
    First off, you will not get a good bass sound using a guitar cabinet, as they are engineered with totally different purposes. Save the $50 bucks towards a real bass cabinet. I'm not familiar with DFA's sound so l can't recommend anything specific.

The amp is well respected, so hang onto it.

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Yep you need a proper bass cab for good results at volume. Swapping out the speakers in the cab would not make it any better 99.9% of the time. I don't know anything about either band mentioned so can't help with sound. You do have a slight advantage in cab shopping in that it appears you like a heavily overdriven sound. This will allow you to use cabs that don't go really low, but you do still need a bass cab. If I'm right about the general tone you're looking for, IMO avoid a tweeter or horn or at least make sure the cab allows you to shut it off.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Agreed, the guitar cab is useless for bass at volume. Just find a good bass cab, bigger is better if you want loud.