Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Advice on Bass Voice Effects Idea

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dick Gregory, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Dick Gregory

Dick Gregory

Aug 14, 2002
    I've been playing an electric bass for nearly 2 years. I gig with a four piece band called Hoss. We play classic rock and blues. My technical ability is adequate for the task but I have a long way to go.
    I had a recent idea that with the right electronics I could do something interesting with my voice while playing the bass. I can sing in the bass range but I'd like some help figuring how to do what I could best describe as supplemental bass sounds or vocal fills through an additional piece of equipment. It might sound like a deep-voiced Bobby McFerrin meets the effects pedal. Any ideas on how to accomplish this or even whether it might add to a rhythm section? Thank you.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Digitech makes a vocal processor that you might be interested in. Maybe you'd want a talkbox? Here are a couple of links:

Voice processor

Talkbox

3. Dick Gregory

Dick Gregory

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you, Blisshead.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Your welcome.

5. I used a vocoder for a while, The Electrix Warpfactory, it got some pretty cool vocal effects, but you can't find them anymore. A vocoder is basically two ring modulators running together to produce vowel and pitch, some will throw in some effects like oscillators for create different voices like Monsters, Robots or even Chipmunks.

6. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Depending on how far you want to go on this, you may want to look into an MS2000. It has audio-input jacks that allow you to connect a hi-z mic or other analog source to it. This input can act as the envelope for the sound. Speak into the mic and play the keys. The keyboard appears to be talking.

Oh yeah, I wanted to add that it also makes a great bass synth.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This makes me think, what does a talkbox sound like on a bass, my guess is garbage. Any recorded examples?