Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Advice on BEAD tuning :)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Nov 17, 2000.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Hey... I'm looking for another bass I can get right now.> I just joined a band that requires a C-F-A#-D# tuning.. So what I was thinking...... is getting a 4 string bass, get a new nut/bridge(dunno what brand, need some help there too), get some light gauge 5string set, put the BEAD strings on(dunno what brand either, i need help).. then get it setup so the neck won't screw up on me hehe.. do u think that is a good idea? or should I get a 5 string.. i dunno about the 5 string bass.. hmm.. Any suggestions on what kinda bass/strings/bridge/nut to get for this thing? :)

DM

2. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Stringing it BEAD, can be really cool. But the only people that do that are the ones that only play the real low notes. Converting from a to a 5 is a pain, but it can be done. What type of music R U playin?Ill take a guess at metal.

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Hmmmm... I've never really tried a Schecter bass... Any opinions? :)

4. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    bought a $89.95 j-bass copy, with a maple/maple neck. put the ead from a cheapy set of rw's i had here at the house, and a b-string that i bought separately. adjusted the action some, and voila'.

works fine for my application (auditioning for a hard-core band)

btw, before i changed the strings, i just dropped the tuning on the strings that came with, and that wasn't too bad either.