Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Advice On Bridge Adjustment

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mickeyw3340, Mar 22, 2004.

1. I have a new set of TI Jazz FLats. Had them on about a month. I am a church player. When tuning up this Sunday with my electronic tuner, I decided to check the 12th fret tuning after tuning to open BEADG (5 wires) . All the strings are just a hair flat at the 12th fret. It's such a small hair that I have noticed no problems with being flat when playing with the other musicians. In fact they are so close that I found that I could go back to the open strings and crank it up enough on the sharp side to still get a zero indication on the open string, and a zero indication on the 12th fret. However it really takes some time to to do it and get them both in. Here are my questions...
    1. Should I do anything at all? I don't play above the 12th fret, and have had no complaints from the choir boss.
    2. Can I adjust the bridge without detuning the string? Keeping in mind that the TIs have less tension than most strings.
    3. Being a hair flat, I assume I need to move the bridge a hair longer?
    4. Am I checking the tuning in the proper way. Seemed logical to me to check it at the 12th fret. Or should I check every fret for BEADG.

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    First, I would go with the "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it" approach. If no one can hear the difference, then *I* would leave it alone. (Setting the intonation on a bass or guitar usually involves a compromise anyway, unless you have an instrument with the Buzz Feiten Tempered Tuning System).

If you do decide to set your intonation to be more accurate...
    You should detune the string, move the bridge saddle, retune the string to pitch, check the intonation (at the 12th fret and/or anywhere else on the fretboard you would like to try to "dial in"), and repeat this process until you have intonation that your happy with.

Also, on question #3, the answer is NO. If your intonation is flat, you will want to move the bridge saddle closer to the fretboard making the "speaking length" of the string shorter and ("less flat") sharper.

I hope this helped...

3. I think I will leave well enough alone. I stopped by my local music store and talked with the guitar tech at lunch. He said that if is is close enough that I can pull the open string and the 12th fret both into tune with a little extra time spent with the tuning keys, and it has not been noticeable to the choir boss or other musicians, then I will probably spend more time than it is worth by trying to adjust the bridge...and being new at the process will get very frustrated. Thanks for you input.