1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Advice on Buying a Fender Jaguar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dubstyle, May 16, 2011.

1. At one point in my life, I must own a Fender Jaguar bass. Whether it be in black, hot-rod red, sunburst or olympic white, I wouldn't care as long as it was mine. I've always loved their distinct body shape and multitudes of tone and pickup switches, knobs and controls. Definitely the nicest looking Fender in my eyes.

Since they have been discontinued, I'm wanting to get my hands on one as soon as I can. What price would be reasonable for a used Jag? They are listed at around $1,300 (Australian Dollars) brand new here in Melbourne.

There seem to be a few hanging around ebay for $800 upwards.

Any general buying tips and pieces of advice would be greatly appreciated :)

2. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
    I got mine from a seller on craigslist in Chicago for $500. Mint condition, fire engine red. He bought the Jag and a Geddy and after a year of the Jag sitting in the case decided to sell it. I've seen them go for $800. and up used bit I think that's overpriced.

3. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
    You'll also need to get a roll of copper tape from Stewart MacDonald ($8.00 US) and follow the shielding instruction here on TB. Made mine dead quiet and it was easy, too 15 minutes.

4. Excellent. Mind linking me to the instruction page?

5. roc_tas

roc_tas

May 19, 2011
    I want to be honest. I could not find copper tape anywhere in town so I tried aluminum tape. It worked fine! If you think about it, what are all the TV cables shielded with? My bass is amazingly quiet now. I was really surprised how much difference it made.

6. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
  7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i love my jag, especially after i modded a few things on it:

blackjags-1.

BTW, i'm using an EMG treble/bass control in it (18V) and i used conductive paint in the cavities on mine.

JagEMGBTS-mod-09-2.

all the mods idid on it are HERE

8. shweet!!

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Lots of cheaper and easier options.

A tiny piece of gummed aluminum tape will do the job as well. Cheaper, available anywhere. All you have to do is establish continuity between a cover and cavity. Any way you do it is perfectly fine.

10. I used a circuit writer pen. You just need to draw lines to electronically join the cavities.

This kind of thing:

media.