Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need advice on buying a tube amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaguarcat311, May 15, 2005.

1. im savin for an all tube amp, i havent found much of anything solid state or hybrid that really cuts it. i'm goin for a mesa bass 400+, but i would like opinions on any other all tube amps that would suit my needs. what's your favorite tube amp?

2. My favorite is the Sunn/Fender 300T..depending on your price range though there are quite a few options available.

Ampegs
    SVT
    V4B
    SVT2 PRO

Traynor YBA200
    Orange AD200

Then you can go the used route and the possiblities are endless

Traynor
    Sunn
    Ampeg
    Marshall
    Trace Elliot
    and many more..

3. Fender Showman, but they're a little short on power.

4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Get the Mesa!!! HAHAHA It's a tank...... and it sounds good too!!!! :D

5. My old Peavey Alphabass 160 watt head is on consignment at BassNorthWest. It actually compared favorably w/my D-180, but I don't need both. While you're at it, buy the 60s RI P-Bass & fretless Rebop 5- they're mine, too. ;)

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    killer price on the Alpha!

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Marshall Major. Killer bass amp. :)

Probably 1200-1500 bucks used on eBay, and expect to have to do a cap job on it.

But nothing beats that sound, as far as tube amps go. It's a very loud two hundred "honest" tube watts, and it can easily drive a set of Bag End's or a fridge like an Acoustic 301.

It uses a 6550 tube output stage, which IMO is the absolute joint when it comes to bass amps. There's nothing like the "thump" of a quartet or sextet of 6550's.

Lately I like the old Svetlana "Winged C" 6550's, they have very nice breakup characteristics right around the point of distortion. And of course the old GE 6550-A's, if you can find them, and if you're willing to spend a few extra bucks for NOS tubes.

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The Mesa is awesome and sounds great (as long as the tubes aren't stock), I just picked one up used the other day. The Sunn/Fender 300 T/Pro is quite awesome and I'd say the most versitle, and of course you could get a vintage used Ampeg SVT which has defined bass tone since its creation. The new Ampeg SVT-2 Pro and SVT-Cl sound ok, but they aren't as good as a vintage Ampeg. The SVT-II would be better than a Cl or 2-Pro. The Aggie DB 728 with a preamp would be ideal, but they are closing them out. If you have the cash, Demeter makes a tube power amp which you could pair with a preamp. The Eden VT-300 is very good sounding and is extremely light for tubes. If you are on a budget, get the Traynor YBA-200. SVT like and 200 tube watts, this is only $600. If you can find a Trace V8, V6/Hexavalve, V4/Quadravalve, got for it. They sound awesome, but Trace doesn't make em anymore... I've never tried the Marshall or the Orange though...

9. I like my vintage svt, in the past I have owned a Mesa Boogie Bass 400, Ampeg SVT II Pro, Marshall JCM 800 Super Bass as well as a Marshall Major.

10. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I'll be going for a Sunn 300T with new Svet 6550C's in it in the next month or so. I've got $500 now, and getting $250 a week off this person buying my amps. Plus I got my b'day and some other stuff to sell.. Fun :)
    The Sunn 300T's are very versatile. You have two channels, 10 band graphic EQ, compressor, footswitch etc with it and can go from dirty overdriven tubes to clean in the press of a button.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I love that about my Peavey too (except the graphic... but I don't use them anyway). My footswitch has chennel select, channel combine and FX loop on/off.

I dig it :smug:

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Lots of good options listed already. But, as additional food for thought, you could do the preamp of your choice (see Basstasters) with a tube power amp, like Mesa Boogie Strategy 400, Aguilar DB 728, or Demeter 300M. On the head side, I have owned or tried the Eden VT-300A (very vesatile, and pretty light for 300w), Aguilar DB 359 (more about tone than volume, but enough for many gigs, and again, just killer tone), and vintage SVT (heavy, not the most versatile, but dang, it nails the tone!). I have a Trace Elliot Twin Valve Combo which has really impressed me, so I am also of the opinion that the TE Valve line of amps and the V4/V6/V8 are probably near the top of the heap, too.

Tom.