Need Advice on Buying a Used Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Apr 19, 2004.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I am seriously considering purchasing a Fender MIM Jazz at a local pawnshop for $200 without a case. It has a serial number beginning with MN######## and has the stratocaster type numeral knobs. Basedon this I believe that it is a 1998 Mexijazz but cannot be sure.

I wanted to get everyone's honest feedback about whether this would be a smart purchase and/or a good value. I have searched the threads but cannot seem to find much info in regards to the following questions:

1) Are the oilder MIM's like this one generally any good?
    2) Do older MIM Jazz basses hold their value or do people prefer the more current MIM's?

Any feedback about these basses would be appreciated.

Thanks. :bassist:
  2. I think most would agree that the newer MIM's are better. Many reasons, but one major one is the pickups. Old MIM's have 2 same-sized pickups, which is technically incorrect and makes replacing pickups a pain. Wood used was cheaper, I believe. I also think quality control was lower back then.
  3. egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    Based on price alone I would say jump on it. Make sure that you check for obvious defects e.g. loose and/or sharp frets. Loose hardware. examine the neck and nut make sure that it isn't cut too low. unless there are some glaring defects I would say to go for it. It's certainly enjoyable to tweak a bass to get it to play to your standards, especially when you get a good deal. YMMV etc P.S. take someone more experienced with you if you can. Good luck.
  4. Fender has recently (in the last 20 years) introduced LOTS of different serial numbers schemes, depending on the country the Fender was made (USA, Mexico, Japan, Korea, etc). Not all schemes are covered here! Sorry, since I do not collect new Fenders, I don't really keep track of these things. Below are some examples of letter prefixes used in recent serial number schemes.

V : this prefix used for US made "vintage reissue" models, 1982 to present.

25 + 4 digits : 1979 to 1980 Anniversary Stratocaster.
    AMXN : "AMX" means assembled in Mexico with American parts,
    "N" is the decade (1990s).
    MN : "M" means Mexican made, "N" is the decade (1990s).
    C : this prefix used in 1982.
    D : this prefix used in late 1981 to early 1982.
    GO : this prefix used in the early 1980s.
    SE : this prefix means a Signature Edition, 1982 to present.
    4 digit decal on back of peghead: custom order model 1987 to present.

To be honest with you, most Fender players are not really impressed with any MIM basses, they usually purchase the MIM's and upgrade the guts.

$200.00 is a fair price for this bass and I would consider it, if I were you!

Let us know what you decide!