Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need advice on Cabinets/Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gekobrain, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Gekobrain

Gekobrain

Nov 17, 2000
    I have been playing bass for half a year now and want to know more about cabinets and amps. This will sound quite juvenile to most of you but I don't even know the difference between them. I DO know how to plug a patch cord into one, turn it on, adjust the settings, and play, but as of right now thats about it. I've been thinking of buying something bigger than my practice amp, something to bring to shows. Could you all enlighten me with your devine knowledge.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Gekko - not to treat your seeking of knowledge dismissively, but go to www.bassplayer.com , click on "Gear" in the link boxes provided and you'll find "Bass Amp Basics" there, about the 3rd article/link listed from the top. You can get some solid info. there.

3. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Great advice rick. Also, just a few articles down, is one on impedance. The 8 & 4 ohm stuff drives me crazy. both of those were very helpful

fisk

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

hahahaha - Now Geko WILL be in trouble! That stuff drives me nuts, too, fisk!!! A good case of "a little knowledge" being dangerous and "the more you know, the less you understand."

Ever see Andy Lewis' discussion of speaker efficiency on the Acme site? Whoa, baby!!!

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    get yourself a good medium sized combo amp. 150 watts or more. One that you can add an extension cab onto if you want. You'll be in good shape for awhile. That's assuming you're you'll eventually be playing rock or country in small and medium clubs. and yes check out the bassplayer articles.