1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need advice on Carvin Cabs for aggresive playing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by frankegcbass, Aug 6, 2012.

1. I play out of an ampeg 410 hlf classic. I use passive chi sonic pick-ups and I like to have a pre-amp at the end of my pedal chain.Head is a 500w MarkBass. My pedals consist of a lot of different od's, distortions and fuzz. I push the speakers pretty hard.
    Lately the warning light has come on a few times on my 4x10. I realize I have to upgrade. Instead of getting a 6x10(which I hear I will have the same problem with. Or an 8x10(which will not really fit in my civic. I plan on getting a carvin BR410 with neo's. And a carvin br115n. It will be alot easier to transport two smaller cabs and the price is reasonable.
    My question is, will these cabs be able to handle the verellen tube pre-amp, and the other 3 or 4 od and fuzz box's I like to use. Power wise they look like they should, but this is on paper. Ive heard storys of blown drivers. But I will be using both at the same time.
    Any info would be appriciated. Iv'e heard great things about these cabs. But I've never seen anyone in more aggresive type styles play out of them. So I am curious.

The person also has a carvin RL8x10 which caught my eye first. But when I thought about space the other two seemed smarter.
    Should I pull the trigger on these? I don't have much of a budget. Around $600.

2. Do some reading around here. A 410 paired with a 115 is not a great combo.

3. hahaha, I have read around here plenty. And thank you for typing that. A lot of bass players that I enjoy use 4x10 and 1x15.
    So you would recommend the 8x10 i guess.

4. If those were my only two options? Absolutely.

5. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I would recommend getting just the 410 and running it with your current cab.

The 810 would be great, but if it doesn't fit in your car there's no point in even considering it.

6. Find a cab you like the sound of and get two.... or more if needed. If you're worried about blowing speakers that combo ain't gonna help you much. If you're set on Carvin 4x10 get two of em'. I'm using my buddies carvin 4x10 and 1x15 rig for practice in my country band and combo isn't very good IMHO. I'm not a big biamp fan and the 1x15 farts out soooo much faster the 4x10 in full range It's barely worth bringing both cabs at all.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If you want two cabs for ease of transport, just get two identical cabs. Both 410's or both 115's.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Your Ampeg cab doesn't have a warning light. it has a tweeter protection lamp. It lights to protect the high driver.

A 4x10 + 1x15 mix is a poor combination that should just disappear from bassdom. Do a search on the subject, there's lots of information there.

If you find that two cabinets are an easier schlep, as do I, then a pair of matching 4x10s should do what you need.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Agreed. The 410/15 pairing is popular, but for all the wrong reasons. it's a horrible pairing. Get 2 identical cabs, and experience bass bliss.

10. +1 ^
    Even if you try the 410/115 combo and think it sounds good, it will pale in comparrison to 2(410's) or 2(15's). Through the years, Ive tried the mixed cab thing and ended up going with (2) 410's everytime.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1 to BassmanPaul in that your "warning light" is your tweeter protection bulb. Tweeters and lots of OD/distortion don't go together.

+1 to everyone in that the 15 may as well not even be there and you'll end up blowing it eventually.

12. Thanks guys, I will most likely just get a used 6x10 or 2 1x15's. Im gonna take a few days and do some more research.

13. I have Mesa PH610 for sale at the moment, however, shipping it wouldnt be easy.

14. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    It has been my experience that two 15s will perform perfectly...

Sealed (infinite baffle) 2x15s and/or 2x12s are my "specialties..."

15. Sealed cabs? yuck. :D

16. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    The reason I see a 410/115 as a poor pairing for the OP is because of the greatly mismatched power handling. If he's already worried about blowing drivers, consider the 15 dead already because it will not survive the same thrashing a 410 will.

For what it's worth, lots of bassists I've enjoyed have used mismatched rigs too. That doesn't mean it's always a good idea. With your concerns about cabs taking a beating, skip the 15 and go for another 410.

17. Hmmmm - I say the same thing about "ported" cabs!
    Different strokes for different folks :)

18. ScottTunes

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    For the tones I "chase," ported cabs are too boomy, and uneven... There's a nice gentle low end roll-off from a sealed cab that sounds "tight and punchy" (tho those descriptors are well over used anymore), and more articulate. And, as Slap said, different strokes for different folks. :bassist:

19. ScottTunes

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    Oh yeah, in keeping with Carvin cabs for aggressive playing, Carvin offers a sealed 2x10 that rocks pretty hard. I've tried only one, but it sounded quite good, and worth a listen. A pair stacked vertically would be an excellent system with good power (sealed aren't as efficient as ported, and require more power to produce the same db level).

20. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I'd recommend 2 GK NEO 212 cabs :)
    Because they're awesome.