Need Advice On Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by srxplayer, Mar 17, 2005.

1. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Can somebody recommend an out board pre-amp or pedal that can boost my signal and give me some shaping ability?

I am currently using a MIM Jazz and an Ibanez SRX300 at my church and I'm running directly to the board.

The Ibanez has no problem being heard but the tone isn't exactly what I want all the time. The Fender is more versatle and has a nicer tone but I just can't get enough output and tone shaping. I have to run both pickups on the Fender wide open so they wont hum and I just don't enough tone effect from the pot on my bass to make any changes on the fly.

I used to run through a small 65 watt Ibanez combo and I then to the board. It worked well but thats no longer an option for now.

We have a lot of newbies running the soundboard right now and they are reaking havoc on my tone. I would like a little more controll. I would like to be able to make volume and EQ adjustments from the stage if possible and worry about them screwing something up.

I need something that is sorta like a pre-amp and maybe offer some effects. I was thinking of trying one of those Hartke Bass Attack pedals but I'm not a fan of most of their stuff so I'm suspect of the product. Sansamp stuff looks interesting but I'm just not sure what to buy.

Any advice would be helpful.
  2. Do you have a head or something you could use just as a direct box? the Sansamp would be your best bet.
  3. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    No I don't have a head to use. All I have right now is an Ampeg BA115HP and I don't want to lug that back and forth.

The Sansamp does look interesting.
  4. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    The bass player at our church runs direct to the board and just bought a Line 6 Bass Pod with foot controller board. He has used it for a couple of weeks and is still experimenting with it, but it is giving him more sounds to play with. He said he picked it up on eBay for 'a couple of hundred'. You might check out something like that.
  5. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    If you don't need a lot of effects, I'd go with a SansAmp BDDI. A Pod is nice, too. That's what they have at my church. I use the "Tube Preamp" setting, flat, no cab, head or effects models.

As soon as I get my Avalon U5 in a rack, I'll be using that at church. I also have a SABDDI that I may try next time.
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I also support the sansamp. I have one for sale, if you are interested....
  7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The three I'd look at would be the Sansamp about 150$, the Sadowsky Pre-foot pedal 250$, and If you want to buy a piece of equipment that you will never replace, will make every bass sound better, and cause recording engineers and sound men to hug you buy the Avalon U5 550$
    Take a look at the Direct Box/D.I. thread under effects it'll will give you a great rundown
  8. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    i think the pod will be more versatile thanm the sansamp, and even mora if you are playing in church
  9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Less versatile, but less noisy. Sometimes that many options can be a bad thing, as well.
  10. Because you want to boost your signal/shape your tone a little, I would have to recommend one of the preamp stompboxes. I use the Sansamp Bass Driver DI on my rig (great for when your strings die, or when you have a sound guy without a clue at church!), but the MXR-80, Hartke Bass Attack or the Aphex Bass Xciter all do a similar sort of thing. I think all of these have an XLR out so you can go direct to the mixder from the preamp. Once you use one of these beauties, you will find it hard to play without it! ;)
  11. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    It seems like the Sansamp is they way I'm gonna go. I'm not really looking for much in the way of effects from it.

I will eventually use a little overdrive and a chorus pedal but thats pretty much it.

It sounds like the Sansamp can give me the tone shaping, signal boost, and little bit of overdrive that I will need. :)

I just hate buying stuff and being dissapointed in my purchase.

Thanks for the info fellow TB'ers
  12. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    +1 to everything that's been mentioned. I use an MXR-M80 and love it. I'm liking the new Radial Bassbone - separate channels for two different basses = cool!

edit: The MXR-M80 has an EQ channel and a distortion channel. Kinda like a 2 for 1 ;)
  13. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    If it is strictly tone shaping you are concerned with and you want a little boost, I would recommend the J-Retro stompbox. It has a much but eq than any of the other mentioned items and just takes the tone you have and makes it a better. There is no modeling or distortion involved here, use it if you like your basic tone and just want to tweak it.

14. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Thanks guys.

I just bought the SansAmp Bass Driver D.I.

I only got to play around with it for a couple of minutes tonight. I ran it through my BA115HP and it sounds like it has a lot of potential.
  15. PaulF

Nov 17, 2004

Ted - this pedal looks really interesting. Is it still made ?? If so where can youget it from / how much is it ??

Would you consider it better than going for a Boss GEB7 ?