1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need advice on finishes

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by whitcomb-basses, Sep 24, 2008.

1. whitcomb-basses

whitcomb-basses Commercial User

Sep 16, 2008
    Uijeongbu, S. Korea (Military)
    Owner/Luthier, Whitcomb Custom Basses
    I just ordered a maple on maple fretless neck and after reading some threads, i'm even more confused. I'm looking for a smooth hard finish all around that will help protect the fingerboard. It doesn't matter if it's satin or gloss, just a good hard finish. I'm used to spray can lacquer but I'd like to not go that route this time. Any ideas would be of great help. Thanks

2. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    For the back of the neck....anything that feels good under your hand.

For the board, the common thing is epoxy. You NEED to know what you're doing though.

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    What strings are you using on it? If you are using stainless rounds you will need to finish it differently than if you are uisng LaBella deep talkin. What kind of music are you planing on playing on it?

4. whitcomb-basses

whitcomb-basses Commercial User

Sep 16, 2008
    Uijeongbu, S. Korea (Military)
    Owner/Luthier, Whitcomb Custom Basses
    I like DR hi-beams. Style of music for this particular bass will be jazz\funk\fusion. Since it's fretless, would a wipe on method be used for finish? Also, does anyone know the difference between buying "special" lacquer made for guitars, or would hardware store products do just as well.

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    You will want a hard coating then. Doing a good 2 part epoxy job is tricky though. I guess next to that I would use poly. If it is unlined and has no dots or marks on the face of the neck you could do a wet sanding with CA glue job on it. Sorry I can't answer your lacquer question...Tom