Need advice on flat wound strings-

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LucasMcCain, Nov 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. LucasMcCain

LucasMcCain

Jan 19, 2014
    I've got a Dano Hornet baritone. I want to try flats and figure stainless would be the way to go, but notice they also make Bass VI tape wound sets...

I want to try it in a duo arrangement with an acoustic guitarist, where I could kinda cover a bass line and also inject some lead here and there.

I've used tape wound strings before, and liked the snappy tone, but that was on a fretless four string.

Not sure how they would sound on frets through lipstick tubes...

Thanks in advance for your comment!

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I wouldn't call tape wounds "snappy". Most would consider them muted or smooth, rather than snappy.

I think you'll have to try different strings. My go-to set is the Labella Deep Talkin' 760FL set.

Don't forget that flats sound better 3-6 months after installation than they do new.

shawshank72 likes this.
  3. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    LaBella DTB series, or Chromes, are usually good starting points. My three favorite flats are TI JF344, Sadowsky SBF45 and LaBella 760FM. There are some videos out there that showcase different flats if you look it up on YT.

4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I agree on the recommendation of a Bass VI La Bella set.

5. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    If the scale of your instrument is 27-28", you could try getting a 7-string D'Addario Chromes guitar set, and discard the smallest string. I've got them on my home-made baritone strat, and they work fine downtuned to open G, especially on a 28.629" scale. Not to mention, much cheaper than a Labella set. juststrings.com sells them.

6. LucasMcCain

LucasMcCain

Jan 19, 2014
    I guess it's technically not a baritone guitar, since it's got the 30" "Bass VI" scale, and is tuned E-E.

The question I have really, is tape wound vs steel flats. I've never tried tape wound strings on a fretted instrument, but since La Bella makes a set specifically for the Bass VI, it makes me wonder how they'd sound.

7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Try 'em and see if you like 'em. My late best friend was a Fender Bass VI fiend. Of all his many basses get bought as he grew up, his early 60's Fender Bass VI was his fave. He always bought Fender strings for that signature twang. It's my understanding (or misunderstanding) that once V.C. Squier was shut down, LaBella made the Fender Bass VI strings under contract to Fender's specs. I would never put tapes a any bass VI or Danelectro Six. The twang is the thing that made these basses so special. If you don't like or want the twang, tapes will surely kill it.

8. They are smooth and in some cases brighter than flats because they are usually round wound strings covered with a nylon coating. Not sure if they make a baritone set or 30" scale but check D'Addario. They sound great on a Ric as well as my acoustic bass.

9. LucasMcCain

LucasMcCain

Jan 19, 2014
    Thanks again for all the great replies-

I hate to be a tight wad, and nit pic over strings, but since I kinda got soaked over a "finish crack" that in reality was a busted neck pocket so bad that the upper bout was ready to break off. I'm already $ behind on this one, after having the crack repaired and hate to buy expensive strings that I don't like and can't use on other guitars.

I've decided to just add a 95 and a 75 round from la bella's website (they sell single strings for the bass VI).
    I'll add those to the skinny strings that are on it now and see how it sounds.

*edit*

After more reading, I realized that the Bass VI strings won't work, and instead need hellcat VI strings for my Danelectro "Dead on 67" baritone. They're both 30 inch scale, but the bass VI is string through the body, but the ball end on the danelectro sits in the whammy bar bridge only an inch and a quarter away from the rosewood saddle.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021