Need advice on Four Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uforia, Jan 23, 2002.

1. :rolleyes: :confused:

Ok guys I am in the process of getting my very own first bass. I am look for a 5 string fretless that is fairly lightweight. Yet I am very picky when it comes to looks and sound and quality. I also want something that has a comfortable neck.I have narrowed it down to 4 basses so I need your advice on these four.

1.Tobias Toby Fretless 5 String

2.Dean Razor NT Fretless 5

3.ESP 2002 C305 Fretless 5 String with Bubinga Top[

4.Spector NS2000/5 Quilt Maple Top/Amber Stain Fretless 5 String
    This image is the NS2000Q6, the site doesn't have an image of the NS2000/5 in the amber burst.
  2. your getting a fretless for your first bass? or did you mean your first fretless bass?

those are all good basses, I say be different and get the Dean. cant go wrong with a Dean.
  3. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    don't get the Toby unless you can play it first.

don't get any bass unless you can play it first.

of course if its your first bass it doesnt matter much in my opinion.
    for me, all basses felt pretty much the same when I chose my first bass.
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Both the Toby and the ESP have large necks, iirc.
  5. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    I agree with cruise4 on this one. 100% Spector :D
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Of those four I'd go with a Spector.

Just to make it more difficult, have you considered a Carvin?
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Dean's the smallest of the bunch. Also, they have hot women at their exhibition booths.
  8. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    That was from his profile. I dont think that this is his FIRST bass but first fretless. I havent played any of them so I cant give you my opinion.
  9. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    guys i think hes talking about his first fretless bass... hes been a member since august of 2001, and hes got a georgeous five string as his avatar... nice bass if thats yours man!

of the choices you gave, id defenitly go with the spector as well.

as to what big wheel mentioned... YES LOOK AT A CARVIN!! sorry.. ill control my outbursts. i play a fretless LB75... and i havent been able to find anything that plays better, or is better built (for the price). i looked at all the same basses youre considering too, except the razor. (didnt look attractive to me)

oh btw its been done (starting on an unlined fretless)
    i started on upright!:cool:
  10. I've got to agree with "Big Wheel"... I'd get a Carvin.

As far as should your first bass be a 5 string fretless? Why not! All three of my kids started out fretless, one on upright bass, one on viola, and one on violin.

I also play an unlined fretless... if you don't know any better it doesn't scare you and it doesn't really seem to slow you down.

Of course all this is just my opinion!!!:eek:
  11. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Carvin or Spector is a good choice.

12. To those of you that don't know, HIS first bass is going to be HER first bass. She's a girl, and married, so no flirting! ;) (Chivalrous mode on)

Uforia, I've played Spectors and ESPs, but, not those models. They're both very good. My gut (just by looks) would say go with the Toby. I really like the way it looks, but, then again, do you want an unlined neck?

Oh, such problems. :p

Mike J.
  13. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    wow! you got yourself a small string section there!
    imagine the possibilities if your wife takes drums and the nephews playing horns!!! ;)

anyway, there is no reason one shouldnt start on fretless, if thats what you want take no shortcuts, if at any point you decide to go fretted you'll have better technique and hearing than most bassists who dont play fretless (and much better than any guitarist for sure :D).
  14. I hate Spectors. I know it's just me. Anyway, I'd go with the ESP. I played a fretted one a few days ago and I thought it sonded good. The feel was nice, too, and it didn't weigh much. I haven't played any Tobias', but I've heard that they sound really good.
  15. Oh, Thank you kind sir for defending my honour.:D

Now on note with my bass choice, yes this will be my first bass of my very own. However I have been practicing on both a Fender Jazz and a Zon Fretless 5 string of my husbands. I like practicing and playing the fretless better. Which tends to make me want to play more.

Next went to a couple of music stores to to check somethings out. It looks like the Dean Razor maybe out of the running. I found out that it is not available as a fretless.

However I now entered two other basses into the race all tho one of them I know is way out ahead of the others. I have now entered a peavey cirrus fretless 5 string and a Brain Moore fretless 5 string. What can I say I am being really picky about what I get cause I want to be happy with it.
  16. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Have you had the opportunity to play the Cirrus yet? If not, by all means play one before you buy any other bass. When I was looking for a 5 string, I couldn't find anything that came close to the Cirrus in terms of playability and feel for under $2000. I never played a fretless one, but I'm sure it's every bit as smooth as my fretted.

EDIT: Duh, stupid me... Looking at your profile, I guess it's a safe bet that Jeff's your husband, in which case... You already know how the Cirrus plays.

- Frank.
  17. G

Apr 12, 2000
    I understand about being picky. I think you should jst steal your husband's Zon and let him get a new one! Seriously though... Consider Carvin. WIth some replacement pickups and a preamp you would have one hell of a bass. Playability is quite good on these. I built mine myself, have since replaced the carvin pickups with the stuff from my old workhorse MIM fender, and I absolutely love it!
  18. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    right, I guess you're Jeff's, the Emblisher, wife.

I seen that Zon in pictures and may I comment that it looks T-O-T-A-L-Y A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

anyway I haven't played a Zon nor a Peavey Cirrus but from what I heard the Cirrus is a league closer to the Zon (while still a completely different beast) than the rest of the basses you inquired about.

not so unsurprising, the Cirrus a league of its own price wise too but I recall a TBer who practicaly stole one in broad daylight for a mere 850 bucks!!!

overall a new Cirrus will still be a good buy value wise (if you like it, but quality wise I never heard a bad thing about it).
  19. I've never played one, but, those Brian Moore basses are starting to catch my eye.

Mike J.