1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need advice on fretted AND fretless basses please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by messiaen, Mar 31, 2013.

1. messiaen

messiaen

Oct 16, 2012
    Ok I'll try and be brief!

I have played fretless for years on & off, always lined fretless. I currently play a Squire modified with ebonol fingerboard which is Okish, I put a Badass ii bridge on it, bit its a bit buzzy, and I really want a bass with a better build and sound.

I've owned a Wal custom mark ii, in the past and like a total ****hole I sold it to buy a car! I can never forgive myself for this crime, probably never afford to buy a Wal again!:crying: I've played on a overwater bass (ok ish) tried Spector (bit clunky) , Warwick (heavy, but nice sound) and recently an American Fender Jazz Bass, and although it was nice, it was a little 'bland', a bit too smooth.

I am really looking for a bass that has character, that is very very easy to play, so capable of low action, no buzzes, with fingerboard that has no duff spots (Wal was perfect!) that has clear mid/high range, that isn't too dark, but has a bit of beef too, hard to explain, but I want it to really SING, I want something thats beautiful in tone, but not too thin sounding....

I have small hands, so need thinnest neck possible, and I would contemplate short scale but never played one and not sure how this affects tone????

So what do I try and go for? Budget could be up to £1000, don't really want to spend more unless people tell me I need to!!

I've heard good things about Sandberg, Ibanez (thin neck, but thin sound?), I'm finding it diffiult to find fretless basses in UK I can actually try out.

Any advice would be really helpful!

Would also like a fretted bass - not my no.1 bass, just for times when I want to do Bernard Edwards and Verdane White, and Bootsy style funky bass lines, so again its got to have a good midrange, nice tight sound. I've had less expereicne with fretted basses, only owned a Squire Jazz, which again was ok, nothing special.

Budget will be less maybe 500-600, so could stetch to cheaper Warwick, Spector, etc, Stingray type copies.......any advice for nice punchy, funky tone would be great!

I doubt there is one type of bass that could cover both fretless & fretted requirements but any ideas would be great!!!

Thank you in advance!!:help:

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    You can get all of those tones with a fretless G&L SB-2, #6 neck. Plenty of beef.

3. i have a Conklin/Groove Tools Fretless 5 that i'm very well pleased with...

4. messiaen

messiaen

Oct 16, 2012
    P.S. Forgot to mention I live in the UK, so quite difficlt to actually get to play on a lot of basses!!

5. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I'm a big fan of the EBMM Sterling fretless. Wonderful thin neck and great tone (for what I like anyway), impeccable materials and construction at a great price if you can find one used. I have fretted and fretless Sterlings and hopefully always will.

6. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

7. MontzterMash

MontzterMash Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Love my G&L L2000 fretless. Never really liked the fretted L2000 - it just seemed to have too much something, but without the frets it's really smooth yet powerful. The guitarist I play with is always grumpy if I bring another bass.