Need advice on good metal bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bartman, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Hey guys,

I've been using an Ibanez SR800 for like 4 years and its been great but I think it's time for a new bass. I play in a heavy metal band and we play pretty low so I'd need a bass that has a good low end. I don't slap and I use fingers to play. I like to tap sometimes (I dont know whether some basses are better for that then others). I would need good pickups like Barts or emg's so that I wont have to upgrtade from stock (I like keeping my basses/guitars in their stock setup). My price range is $1500 tops.

So far I tried the BC Rich Beast and Warlock and a Warwick Vampyre. I like the Vampyre the most so far.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them so that I know what to look for and try out at the store.

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Thumb, my metal bass of choice. Or if you want sort of an agressive bassy tone go with the a Stingray.
  3. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Modulus Quantums can get nasty. You can definately find a good used one for that price.
  4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Sorry, couldn't resist:

5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Alex Webster uses both Spector and Modulus. Can't go wrong with an endorsement like that. The bassist from Nile uses Spector also. Just a thought. (Can you tell I'm biased?)

Are you looking at a 4 or 5 string?

For $1500 you can get used: Zon, Pedulla, Spector, Roscoe, Peavey Cirrus, Modulus, G&L L2000, maybe a Lull, Stingray, Lakland, Warwick, Yamaha, Dingwall Afterburner (highly rec'd), etc.

$1500 is a pretty big list to choose from. You'd have to tell us 4 or 5 strings, active, passive, what kind of neck you prefer and so on.

Also, as far as BC Rich, goes, realize that almost ALL of the bassists you see using them use custom shop models. Which by all accounts are lovely, but anything but custom shop stuff is generally crap.
  6. +1

Bassists and guitarists alike who use those things always tidy them up, generally the pickups. If you want a stock bass, BC Rich probably isn't the best choice. If you can afford a Warwick, I say go for it.
  7. You could save a lil dough and go with a BEAD tuned ESP
  8. go for an old school ibanez x series bass with a p setup and another bass because u can pick those things up on ebay for well under 500 if i remember right.
  9. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Like this DF404

35" scale, EMGs, tuned BEAD, looks cool/metal without looking cheesy and being unergonomic.
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Actually, I'd call that the definition of cheesy looking.
  11. if your not interested in an ESP that radical they make moreconventional basses too.
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno, I don't see that as "radical." Radical would be something like a Basslab L-Bow. ESP just seems to bring out the absolute worst in "metal." Well, I mean aside from Moser and BC Rich.

That, and in my experience, ESP's strength as a company relies on the fact that they use EMG pickups, which would sound great for metal if they were stapled to a 2x4. And they are not only capable of utterly horrendous paint jobs, they seem to enjoy them.

They've been solid, but nothing to write home about, like mid-level Ibanez, Schecter, et al.

Especially with $1500 to bandy about, I'd avoid ESP like something you'd be likely to avoid.
  13. thanks a lot for all the replies guys.

I've tried a Modulus at a local store a few weeks back and I loved it, but the price tag scared me off.

I will try a Spector next time I'm at the store since some of you have suggested it. Also I've never tried a Warwick Thumb so hopefully I can find a store around here that has one.

I definately want a 5 or 6 string since I've been using all 4 strings for the past 7 years and I'd like to make a jump to something higher.

14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Go used as far as Modulus goes. A Quantum 5 can certainly be had for $1500. Possibly a 6er.
  15. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    A Spector Euro neck-thru 5 can be a good choice (unquestionable sound, but VERY hard to play due to its rather uncomfortable neck). Used Zon too!

16. RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    The Vampyre is what I first thought of when I read the thread title. I own a Vampyre Ltd that I absolutely love. I've also tried the Set Neck and the Rockbass. Great instruments all around! I'd also recommend the Thumb as an alternative.